Which iPhone has the best resale value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surjavarman, Feb 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2007
    I am not satisfied with the current iphone 5. The display is too small and its more of the same old. But nevertheless I need a smartphone now. So I want to buy an iphone now and sell it later when the 5" iphone with fingerprint reader is announced.

Which iphone would have the best resale value? the iphone4, 4s or 5? I am also assuming that the 16gb loses its value the least compared to 32gb or 64gb.
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2012
    If you think the iPhone 5's 4" display is too small, why do you still want to buy another iPhone? Both the 4 and the 4S have a smaller 3.5" display. It makes no sense....

And the 5" iPhone is just a rumour at this point of time, not to mention what imaginery "fingerprint reader"...... :rolleyes:

Get an android smartphone if you want a bigger display.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2007
    Cause iphones retain their value far better than android phones. And I need a quick temporary smartphone now. One that will have the best resale value.

I am not satisfied with the current crop of smartphones. An 5" iphone is an smartphone that I would want to buy but unfortunately I can't wait right now. So if you could just answer the question that would be very helpful
  4. macrumors 68030

Jan 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    The iPhone 5 is going to have the best resale value logically because its the latest model. If you are not happy with the 4" display because you feel it's too small, I can't see why you'd consider buying an older iPhone with an even smaller display. Perhaps you haven't quite explained it correctly?

Just buy an iPhone 4 for now and put up with its smaller display. There isn't really much choice with iPhones, but you should get a return on your money in a couple of months time. I doubt you'll make a profit though. :)
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    iphone 5 has the biggest screen amongst other iphones at the moment. it also will fetch you the highest resale value.

based on your above scenario, the only (and best) option for you is to stay put. or you can sell your iphone 5, and pick up a note 2.
  6. macrumors 68040

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Just get the Note 2 if you want a huge phone. There's no point in buying an iPhone 5 and holding out for a mythical 5" iPhone that doesn't even exist and is just based on rumors.
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2007
    no since android phones don't retain their resale value as well as iphone. I just want to know which iphone and which configuration will net me the most money in the near future.

I don't want cheap plastic phones otherwise I would have already bought the s3 or note2
  8. Fed
    macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2012
    Please stop viewing technology as an investment, unless you're actually an investor or are putting it on some sort of asset register.

Buy the phone you want. Expect to sell for nothing. Always happy.
  9. macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Well the newest to be obvious so the 5, and also I'd say AT&T maybe Verizon. Sprint is the lowest resale
  10. macrumors 6502

Nov 25, 2005
    New York
    Even though Apple keeps denying a larger screen is coming since they NOW feel the 4" screen is optimal (like they said the 3.5" screen was before it) its just not likely to be here in 2013. If anything Apple wouldn't release a bigger screened iPhone until 2014 or later at the earliest.

If you need a larger iOS device get the iPad mini and tether it to your iPhone 5 but don't forget the portable battery charger since you are using the power of both devices.
  11. macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2007
    iphone 5 White in 32GB. this model can sold easily on craigslist
  12. macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2010
    I'm guessing you are not using an upgrade, so would have to pay the full retail on the phone? The best option by far is to buy a mint, used iPhone 4/4S off CL/eBay. The prior owned already took a bulk of the lost value.
  13. macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Try the Galaxy S3. You won't get your 5" iPhone this year, so your attempt at retaining resale value won't be worth it if you're gonna be using a phone with a small screen for a couple years.
  14. macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2012
    you can find gsm iphone 4 16gb from 200-250, 4s 250-350, 5 for 500+ on CL. Lets say you use it for 5-6 months till about when 5" comes out. Value of the phones imo would roughly go down by 50-75 bucks(for 4 & 4s ), 100(for 5) bucks. So just buy the phone that meets your needs, because whichever phone you buy will lose its value by about 50-100 bucks.
  15. macrumors 68040

Jul 2, 2012
    Im sorry but cant you figure that out? The newest iphone would obviously have the greater value. Your question is full of contradictions. The phone is too small, yet you want to buy it?
  16. macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2013
    Hate to steer you to Android but depending on what carrier you are with, Nexus 4 would lose the least money.
  17. macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2011
    A: The iPhone with the most resale value is the iPhone 5 32 or 64 gb.
    B: Why would you wait for an iPhone that for now is a myth?
    C: Where did you get a crazy idea that any upcoming iPhone will have a fingerprint reader???
  18. macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2009
    And what if the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen? Then all of this will have been a waste of time. I'd say just stick with what you have now and wait until we get closer for more concrete rumours/leaks to surface. Then make this decision.

As for resale, the most current model will retain its value the best.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The iPhone 5 as of now is the most re-sale. If I decide to cell my iPhone 5 64GB on Gazelle, I could get as high as $500.
  20. macrumors 68040

Nov 3, 2011
    16GB has the best resale value -
    you will never get $108 more for a 32GB over a 16GB
    you will never get $216 more for a 64GB over a 16GB
  21. macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2012
    400$ depreciation in less than 6 months, and you think it's the highest resale value?

OP I don't understand why you're blowing money on a phone that you know you will hate. Get a cheap android and even if you scrap it once you get your dream phone you'll still lose about as much as you would with depreciation.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2011
    Boston, MA

There is no depretiation at all. I purchase the 64 GB at a price of $399+ Tax and will recover my entire loss even after 4 months of purchase. According to gazelle as I write this my iPhone will give me an income of $500.00. A hundred above the price I purchased. To the OP, your hopes for a fingerprint reader and 5" screen is unlikely to happen this year. The most likely scenario that history ha proven is apple producing one phone a year. Apple has made countless press conferences saying that they have found the "perfect" screen size of 4". The rumored iPhone 5S will have 4" with minor internals. Your hope for a 5" screen will most likely be seen in 2014.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2010
    Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint model?
  24. macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2008
    So where are you getting a new iphone 5 for $399 WITHOUT CONTRACT? The actual retail price for a brand new unlocked 5 without contract isn't $399 its $849 + Tax. Gazelle will be giving you <$400.00 for a 5 when the 5s/6 is announced. So if you're going to use $399 price point for your math, you're going to have to include ETF's. (Yes, I know some shady people or ones with 'hook-ups' can get the 5 for $399 without contract, but I'm talking about the average joe blow here.)

For the OP....
    Do you have to buy a new phone? Buying a used iphone 4/4s will give you the best 'resale' as the biggest depreciation hit has already been done. The highest resale 'value' will definitely be the 5 as it will have the highest value at sell time, BUT you will lose the most cash as $849 to $400 will cause you a net loss of $449+ vs buying a used iphone 4s around $300 and selling it for $200 when the new iphone comes out.
    I just don't know if I could deal with a 'slow' 4 at this point.
  25. macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2007
    Verizon. Forget about sprint. A lot of posting and they never sell lol