Which iPod Mini??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iChan, Jan 7, 2004.

1. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

So, after the initial buzz over the iPod Mini had died down, I know a lot of the people who were very negative about the iPod Mini will in fact be breaking down and buying one!!! Once you see them, you probably couldn't resist!

So, come on, what colour are YOU gonna get??

Silver? Blue? Gold? Pink? Green?

I'm getting the Silver or Blue myself and Pink for my Girlfriend.

Green seems to be the colour with the most limited appeal.

Black would have been nice.

what other colours would you like to have seen?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I like to take an actually decent sized amount of music with me. My 10 gig spoiled me, my next iPod will be a 30 gig most likely, i'm waiting until the end of the year, in case they release the video iPod that i believe will be coming in the fall...

to get an iPod mini would be a step backwards, for about 2 million people. A pretty stupid step backwards, considering the price...

paul

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Blue

If I get one it will be blue, the miniPod is not a step backwards, people have not put this into perspective, look at this..
    NOMAD MuVo² 4GB
    Combines 4GB capacity, high-speed USB2.0 loading and superb sound quality in a remarkably compact, easy to use package. Connects as a USB flash drive to carry music and data files.$299!!!!
    No one has been complained about that, and Creative sells the 30 gig nomad for the same price!
    Its for a different market people.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

well even though i think it's ripoff, if i did indeed get one i think it would be the gold. i know the silver would match my PowerBook but i like the neo tackyness of the gold one. i need a little bling bling in my life.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'm just waiting until Fitity Cent starts flashing a gold mini iPod around. He already raps with the Large iPods. I wonder how many rappers will adopt the mini iPod into their Bling Bling in videos.

6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i dont really like any of the new colors.. i liked the old imac/ibook colors better..they could have made the new colors match the ads, especially the green. i loved the green color in the ad, the green mini looks pukish :(

for the ipod, i'm sticking with the 20Gb. yah, its a little more, but i get a dock and remote, and its that pretty white.:D

7. sickracer2015 macrumors member

spend an extra $50 and get a real ipod 15GB rather than 4GB..

249 for 4GB is a waste of money

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I like green, but I agree that the new colors seem too pastel. And that 4GB Creative mp3 player for $299 puts the whole iPod mini thing into perspective, no?

Though, I already have an iPod and don't need a 2nd.

9. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

it's pretty obscene of you to call 2 million people potentially stupid...

there is more to the iPod than capacity...

lets be honest, like the way it looks is a major part of the cool-factor.

and one last point, the 2 millions current users aren't the ones targetted here... how is that not blatantly obvious to you? with 730,000 people buying iPods last quarter, you think Apple launched a new iPod to attract these current users? you must be joking.

10. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

i happen to have 13Gb of music, 4Gb happens to be a nice amount... too much for my 10Gb, so i pick and choose what I want to listen to...

people who think they actually NEED to carry at least 10Gb of music truly have been spolied...

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

and nobody needs to go online and discuss every last minutae of the macintosh... but we do it anyways. it's all for love, baby.

12. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Green

I won't buy one, not at $249, but if they dropped the price to under 200 (pre tax) I'd pick up a green one just to have it.

13. Mahram macrumors newbie

Apple Missed the Point

I think that Apple missed the point with this market. The plain and simple fact is that a price limit is what most people are looking at. $249 is much higher than $200, and $200 is much higher than $149. $149 is a pretty good sweet spot that a lot of people won't mind getting to. The arguments Apple presents are logical and make a lot of sense (most flash player purchaser end up getting to almost 250 anyway with upgrades/accessories), but most people are going to see the 15GB for 50 bucks more and wonder why this one, less than half the size and capacity, is not that much cheaper.

If Apple really wants to be competitive in the high-end flash player market, they need to release another Mini with 2GB at 149. Those will sell like life-extending hotcakes, and still hold MANY more songs than the flash players.

Hurry up, Apple, before someone else beats you to the punch and releases a player compatible with iTunes.

14. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Silver

I plan on getting it in about 4-6 months though with a brand new G5 PM.

15. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Green - coz it's different. Pink for the same reason for my wife.

I don't care about capacity as I have less than a gig of music.

But I just don't have the money. I know they couldn't release a cheper one at this stage because the tech's not there.

I'll probably wait six months - that's usually enough in the tech industry for things to become affordable! :D
    Apple will also announce the 1 & 2Gb models in mid-year, i reckon.

16. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Flavored iPod minis

I was seriously betting a friend that, like with the original iMac G3s, Apple would use flavors instead of colors for the mini iPods.

Silver (is there silver fruit?)
    sesame seed (gold, gimme a break)
    blueberry
    strawberry/raspberry
    lime (my favorite)

I was expecting the same color options as with the original iMacs.

17. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

really bad colour selection, will have to be silver and if they manage to run out of silver at £200 a time, then I won't buy my second choice of blue either. :confused:

18. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

If I hadn't already bought a 10 GB ipod, I'd get a gold mini for me and a pinkie for the wife.

19. mms macrumors 6502a

Kind of off the subject but...
    I wonder what kind of ad campaign Apple would have for the mini iPods. I'm sure they'll have some type of ad to spread the news to those PC users who don't follow Apple but the current iPod ads wouldn't work, since the minis aren't white.

BTW, my choice would be silver.

20. mike412 macrumors newbie

21. mms macrumors 6502a

I don't see why they didn't offer a plain white mini iPod. Other than silver, I don't like the color schemes and like the plain white better.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'm all about the silver, it'll look sexy next to my PowerBook.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Silver definitely looks the best.

But why the hell get an iPod mini when for $50 more you can get 11 more GB?

scem0

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Because I have less than a gig of music so why pay $50 more for 11 gigs I don't need, bigger size, and an uninspired white compared to anodized aluminum?

25. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I only have 1.2 GB's of music, so the 4gig is perfect. I know I will always carry this with me because of the size. I think that alone makes it worth the 249 tag. I can spend 249 and use the ipod mini, or spend 299 and always leave it at home. I think if Apple would have priced these too low, it would have taken some of the business away from the regular ipod. I will gladly pay the premium for the size. As a matter of fact, I already have. I placed my order this afternoon. Enough of the rant, I ordered the silver. (for the same reason as powerbookG5):)