Which iPod should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Dec 9, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

My choices are the iPod Mini, the 20 GB iPod, or to wait for an updated Mini.

I have no idea how many songs I have. I like the size of the Mini and its outer case, but the 20 GB iPod has 12 hour battery life, is only $40 more with the education discount, and has so much space that in-case I have more than 1,000 songs, I have room for a lot more.

Which one should I get? Or should I wait for an updated 5 GB Mini? When is that coming out?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i got a mini because i like the casing and the size.

capacity was not a consideration for me - i have over 20 GB of music, but i realized i don't need to carry them all. i carry a subset of my collection. it's easy to do by setting iTunes to sync only checked songs.

i used to own a 10 GB 3rd gen. but the fact back chrome face got scratched so easily bothered me so much... and i hated having a third party cover over it - it just felt not right, not to mention increasing the bulk. (no, it's not much increase, but still, when a device is already fairly small, any increase is a nuisance to me.) with mini, it's more robust. Al casing gets far less scratches and i don't feel compelled to buy a third party case...

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Having a combination of both is the perfect solution, have the regular iPod for ALL your music and a mini for on the go. :)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

personally, it depends upon how much music you WANT to have with you, if you can get by with a 1000 songs no problem, then go for it, but if you have more and are not sure what you want to listen to and when then get the 20gig ipod

5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Personally I like having an iPod big enough to have all of my music on, because I'm lazy and don't want to have to chose what I can and can't bring. :D

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you're considering the Mini, then I'd wait until MWSF in January to see if there is indeed an announcement on the product. If it were me, I'd get the regular iPod for the battery life, storage capacity, and wealth of accessories available. The Minis, to me, seem overpriced for what you get compared with the iPod.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i understand. my situation was fairly unique, i guess. when i purchased the 10 GB iPod, i had about 8 GB of music... so it was fine, because i had all of my music. the scratching and extra case bothered me but not enough to make me spend $250 for iPod mini. then it grew to 12 GB as i got around to ripping more and more of my CDs. that's when it got annoying because i just missed the mark of having all of my music. it was really hard and annoying to choose which songs i wouldn't want to listen to - it's far easier and enjoyable to pick what you want to listen to instead.

eventually, when i was done ripping, my collection was a little over 20 GB. so i had to choose whether to go all the way to 40 GB or just get a mini and force myself, so to speak, to carry 1000 songs i actually listen to. since i didn't want to spend $500 to get the 40 GB and started to hate the extra skin i had to keep on the iPod, the mini, even at $250, didn't seem like a bad choice. so i sold my 10 GB and bought myself a mini.

i actually use the mini more now because i know i like all the songs i have on it. i put it in random and enjoy the music - because i don't have to worry much about running into songs i don't recognize even though i own the album. (which happens when you have so much music!)

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

If you can wait and do not feel carrying your entire music collection with you is a must.........wait until January and get the updated (most likely) iPod Mini's. These are great and they do NOT scratch up like the normal iPods.

If you can't wait, or feel you will carry a lot of music and store stuff on the iPod hard drive, then buy a 4G iPod. These give you 12 hours of battery life instead of 8 on the current mini's.

If you can wait and save some more $, get an iPod Photo. 15 hours of battery life with music, pics, and album art work. I love these!

9. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, you do get a lot less for around the same price.

Jovian9: The iPod Photo is way overpriced for me considering the fact that I don't think there's any point of being able to view photos on an iPod. Plus, I have no where near 40-60 GB of music and photos.

10. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Montserrat macrumors regular

What did you end up buying then? NOticed that thread started many a month ago. Did you wait for the mini - or the revamped iPod line?