Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

number9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
USA
ok, I know that many other people have asked this question before, but I'm going to ask it again. I'm looking into getting a new iPod for my birthday (in June) and my parents asked which one I would want. i like both the Mini and the original, but I'm just not sure which would make more sense to have. I'm 18,going on 19, listen to music almost all the time now (spending lots of time doing engineering homework at a computer will change your listening habits lol) and right now my collection on my computer is 737 songs, 2.65 GB. With an educational dicount at the Apple store, the mini would cost me about $230, and the 15GB one would cost be about $270. Storage size wise, the mini would be perfect, as I only have just over 2.6 GB of songs, but would it be worth another $40 to get another 11GB of space for extra storage for files and what not? To me, the extra space isn't nescessity, and I think that the more "durable" form of the mini might lend it self better to different kinds of usage, especially working out. So basically, I'm leaning towards the mini, but I was wondering if there were any really good reasons that I should ge the Mini, or if I should get the 15GB one.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
Personally i would get the regualer iPod. Over time your going to get more songs (when i got mine a year ago i had 500 now i have 940) also you can use the iPod as a hard drive to move files from place to place. (i use mine to movie FCP projects to school to work on there)

If you dont plan on getting more songs or use it to move files around then the mini might be for you. :D

-Pat

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
I'm with Phat Pat on this, and for all the reasons given, iPod original.

But saying that when me and my wife saw the minis on display in an Apple store both our jaws sytematically cracked the tiles on the floor between our feet. We then spent the next 15 minutes trying to convince ourselves and Jiminy Cricket that the perfectly good, operational and larger iPod at home was somehow insufficient for our needs and that if we irrationally spent 250 clams on this sexy graphite* number in front of us then we would reach that inner enlightenment that the world has been so missing.

Suffice to say we kept the money and still use the white beauty as and when needs arise.

*[hell, I'd even have settled for the pink one!]

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
If your planning on going to an engineering college (or are) I would reccomend getting the bigger iPod for the simple reason that those colleges usualyl have ALOT of music avaible on campus in MP3 form. My collection has ...ahem...grown since I went to school (althought mostly ripping from friends CD's (bout 80%)).

BEN

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
As others have pointed out, the original iPod does have more space and your music collection will undoubtly grow. With that being said, my vote would be for the Mini for these reasons:

1. The battery is supposed to last a little longer, according to http://www.ipodlounge.com . The battery life will help if have a long day at school and need to listen to music.

2. I have a 15 Gig 3g and I don't listen to half of the music on there. 1000 songs seems to be just the right amount of songs.

3. There is nothing cooler than the iPod Mini. The silver one looks great. It's smaller and fits in a pocket, as well as not scratching quite as much. (A friend of mine owns one and if she does not hold onto it, she might wake up and find it has morphed into a my 15 Gig :)).

Just my 2 cents

Apmonia

akeel6

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
behind god's back
Let me preface all my suggestions with the comment that i am suffering from sever gadget envy and am an avid apple fan.

I own an iMac 17" and have been trying to convince myself that i need a 20". I had a 2nd gen 20 gig and traded down to my sisters 10gig 3rd gen (love playlist on the go, and thinnner form factor). I bought my wife the ipod mini, which is just damn sexy. I am trying to resist buying one until the 4th gen come out in color with video (hopefully).

All this having been said i think i would go for the larger, as much as i love the style and size of the mini the space fills quickly and you will come to want more space. Keep in mind as others have said, your music collection will only grow so even if you only have a few hundred songs now its really easy to end up with 20 or 30 gigs of music. So unless you are an avid excerciser i would go for the 15 gig.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Dude, you case Screams Mini. It's more durable, Doesn't hesitate between songs, Will fit your enitire music collection, has bettery battery life, is cooler, and just frickin rocks.

Yes the 15 gig a more sensible purchase, but your young, make rash decisions. You should buy the Mini simply for the cool factor, and the ones listed above.

Why buy the a station wagon when you can have a sports car?

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
iPodMini vs. iPod

I just happened to get an iPod mini today and I was thinking about this, though my decision was easier because the Mini is for my wife; I already have a 10Gig.
If you listen to music constantly and you like having a large collection at your finger tips or if you plan to use the Firewire drive ability you need a 15Gig. However, if you don't listen to that much music, or you work out a lot, or you just really enjoy the smaller size and great looks then get a Mini.
I would think that with an iPod and iTunes your music collection will grow in bounds and the Mini just won't be enough to hold all your tunes. Personally, I'd get the 15Gig because of the larger capacity, the ability to use ALL the aftermarket additons—the microphone to record lectures perhaps, and the ability to use the iPod as a firewire drive to backup all those precious papers and notes in case your computer's hard-drive fails.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
If music is not your life, then the iPod mini would do you well. If you are a "file hound" on your computer then the IPod would make a great choice.

If this sounds strange it is because the ipod offers much more pace for future use than the iPod Mini.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the mini is the clear choice in your case. You're nowhere near filling it up, and if you will have it with you all the time, you'll appreciate the smaller form factor.

If you really need to move a lot of files around, spend the $40 that you'll save on a usb 2.0 flash drive. You don't really want to carry an ipod cable with you everywhere. :)

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
I dont know the logic there. It's only $40 and the original ipod is small and weighs nothing anyway, there is no point going for somthing lighter and smallerer for no apparent reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.