which is a better buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djbreal57, Jan 21, 2007.

1. djbreal57 macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2007
    my iMac G4's monitor busted and we are not willing to pay however much the problem costs (right now im on an external monitor with the iMac G4)
    the guy at the genius bar told us its not even worth trying to replace the parts since it will be expensive
    so heres my dilemma:
    should i get an iMac G5 17-inch 2.0 GHz
    or a Mac Mini 1.83 GHz and Keyboard,Mouse,Monitor?
    its a hard decision
    because the iMac can run windows and stuff
    well please give whatever suggestions or advice you have
    thank you :]
  2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2006
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    What are you looking to spend on this machine?

The Intel based iMac C2D 2.0 GHz starts at $1199 while the 1.83 GHz Core (not 2) Duo mini is $799.

Do you have a monitor you intend to use with the mini? Otherwise you'll probably want a $200+ monitor which makes the real price difference $200.

The iMac gives you some features not available in the mini, though both will run windows.

1) dual montor capability
    2) faster, larger 3.5" drives.
    3) Core 2 Duo for future 64 bit OS/applications.
    4) Non-integrated graphics.

If you want to save money have a look at the refurbs availble from the Apple store online.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Well it will through Microsofts now discontinued Virtual PC, but the speed in which it runs is pathetic.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    He said iMac G5, not the Intel models.

The iMac G5 will run Windows through VPC7 and it will suck hard and be very slow.

An Intel iMac will run Windows as will the Mac mini you were looking at - all current Macs, actually all Intel-based Macs can run Windows at native speeds. Anything based on a PowerPC such as the iMac G5 you mention will run Windows at speeds closer to that of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping via emulation through Virtual PC 7.

Get an Intel iMac or the Mac mini if you can.
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If I were you, I'd get the Mac Mini, but I'd wait for them to be upgraded to Core 2 Duo because I think the Mac Minis are a ripoff at the specs they have now.

Reason: You had an iMac G4, the LCD breaks, the computer itself still works, but because of the broken LCD, you need to get an entire new computer? From this experience, doesn't it suck. Personally I wouldn't care, since I don't expect computers to last me more than 3 years anyway. I need speed for my photography habit, and I wouldn't mind getting a 20" iMac if it lasts me 3-4 years.

However, for your situation, I'd get the Mac Mini + an external LCD so that if the LCD breaks, you can just get a new one.
  7. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    iMac G5? Not the direction I would recomend. Virtual PC itself is a pain to run, and I mean it seriously. I would go for the Mac Mini if the G5 vs Intel Mini is what you're comparing here.