Which is a better deal? iBook or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMatt mini, Aug 9, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    The iBook would be:
    1GB DDR333 SDRAM (512MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
    80GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
    14-inch TFT XGA display
    1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in
    Bluetooth 2.0 built-in

1,259.00 plus tax.

OR the iMac

1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
    160GB Serial ATA drive
    Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
    56Kbps Modem
    17-inch widescreen LCD
    1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

1,281.00 plus tax.

Prices include educational discount + $30 off coupon.
    I think the latter is better but I'd like your opinions. :)
  2. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I guess you must define "deal" first. If by deal you mean speed for your buck, the imac is a much better deal, $30 more for a G5? I don't know anyone who wouldn't pay that! If you mean "deal" for a portable computer, then the iBook clearly wins. So I guess define deal ;)
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    iMac is way faster. I've got both and I can safely say that the iMac blows iBooks away. Having said that, the iBook is adequately fast and it is portable, which is a massive bonus IMO. :)
  4. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    go with the ibook baby!!!! being portable, and people always saying " wow thats a white laptop"...always brings a smile to my face....

p.s. you gotta love the glowing emblem on the back on the ibook... :)
  5. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Ask yourself: do you really NEED portability? If YES, then iBook is for you. Otherwise get iMac. Its sooooooooo much faster and have 160 gig 7200 RPM SATA HD instead of 4200 RPM 80 gig ATA! Not to mention 128 MB of video mamory in Radeon 9600 :D

I like PowerBook's glowing Apple logo on the back more than iBook's because it contrasts better with aluminium enclosure ;)
  6. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    I have a laptop running XP so I guess I wouldn't need portability. I'm really looking for a desktop to crunch some numbers. :cool:

not literally.

I think I'll go with the iMac. Thanks!
  7. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2005
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    You have my blessing as well, iMatt mini. I just got new iBook, and I'm still scheming a way to justify (oh yeah, and pay for :D ) an iMac. They are SOOOOO powerful for the money, and absolutely beautiful. Second only to the iBook IMO.

I wish you best of luck with yours, and am announcing officially that I WILL have one (maybe when they start selling the current rev in the refurb store) some day sooner than later. ;) :D
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Smart man... I was going to suggest thinking about whether you prefer using a desktop or prefer a laptop... If you haven't purchased yet, you should still give it a thought because honestly, this Mac will become your primary computer w/in 3 months. I first saved up and bought my PB thinking, I won't use a portable that much so I might as well make it my first mac... but then I fell in love w/ Macs and I really do love desktops more... so I ended up w/ my iMac. :D
  9. ebow macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2001
    Trapped in a world before later on
    Is the $30 off coupon available online somewhere, if you don't mind me asking? I'll be buying an iMac this weekend and wouldn't mind saving a bit more. :)
  10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    iMac... esp if you already have a laptop... i love my new iMac (the 20inch), the screen is beautiful and it hardly takes up any space at all. very very fast :D
  11. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    San Antonio, Tx
    i too am debating this! i wont need a portable for at least another year but ill have the money to buy either a ibook or imac next month! with the intel thingy going on ill probably hold out until the rev b mactel laptops. i just dont know what exactly is best yet and i dont want to wait it out since this will be my first mac :)
  12. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    I got an email, something about buying your first mac, take $30 off. :cool: