which is a better value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dudewheresmymac, Feb 7, 2004.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    i am going to be getting a used mac of ebay and i was wondering which would have a better value

867 powermac with superdrive=800
    15" studio display=300-350

iMac 15" superdrive=900-950

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    you could always get a brand new eMac... they're ugly, but it would be faster than either of those computers, bigger screen, and it would be factory fresh...

3. Achtung_U2 macrumors member

Feb 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL, U.S.A!

Well first Paul is right about the eMacs, on both counts :) Lets just say, they're 'functional' machines at a good price point, not gonna win Apple any design awards.

Anyhow, if you want some style, along with your performace, you could go either way in the choices you mentioned.

If you have a few extra bucks and enough room on your workspace, i think the Quicksilver and seperate display would make you a very happy camper. You also have EZ access to the insides and are able to expand a number of things, if you so choose to later on.

On the other hand, the iMac is no slouch.... and, pretty nice looking, compact, but def, a bit more 'trendy' than the other setup.

Anyhow... just my 2 cents, good luck with whatever you decide.
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Gotta agree with Paul - a nice new eMac would be a great choice. However, it all comes down to personal preference - I like things new, never used before, and fresh out of the box - I would probably never buy a used computer. So, depends what you're after, but I definitely would say you can't go wrong with a new eMac.
  5. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    i kno where you coming from paul but i dont have enough space for an eMac on my desk...

thanks anyway though

are there any extenal dvd-r/w drives that work wiht iDVD
    then i could get a new 15" imac....
  6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    iDVD only works with internal dvd burners.

you might consider rearranging your desk or getting a new desk to make room for the eMac.

I got a new desk to accommodate my G5 setup.
  7. cmx08 macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    Canada, GMA

save the money for an ikea desk and emac.

u always want to be the first one to touch the new mac not a second hand with possible problems

the love for it is different.

idvd works for emac super drive

and imac 15 got no idvd

12 PB is just imposible at 800$.
    unless if you
    eBay the parts and
    DIY ur PB in bits and pieces

But too hard.

eMac Super drive with iLife 04 and not any second hand mac with finger prints