Which is better Plasma, LCD, or DLP?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JesseJames, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

So which flat-panel is best?
    I heard LCD has good contrast but may have "ghosting" with fast action.
    Plasma does not have this issue but its contrast ratio is not as good.
    I don't know much about DLP except for the fact that Texas Instruments developed it.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

(Argh! The dreaded question in work!)

Depends what you mean by better and what size TV you're after.

DLP is used in projectors so isn't really a 'flat panel' TV - although it does give a fantastic big picture at a relatively low price.

LCDs are fine in a smaller size and are getting better.

Plasmas give nice rich colours and stronger blacks (compared to LCDs) and are a lot cheaper at bigger sizes.

(These are not 'scientific', but merely my opinion that I use to sell TVs for living!)

3. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Equivalent to a 32" or 42" viewable space CRT television.

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

If you go for 32", i would say LCD but 42", plasma. Plasma is a lot cheaper at bigger sizes and i dont know about DLP as i have never heard of it until today

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

For a 32-37" go for LCD.

For 42" go for Plasma.

Edit: Beaten to it!

(DLP is used in projectors and gives a great picture if you don't mind the relative 'bulk' of projector sets.)

6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread but what type of TV would be good to play xbox 360 on?

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A high definition TV. Depends on the size of the screen, plus it's worth remembering that an image can burn into a plasma if you leave the Xbox 360 paused a great length of time.

(Sorry if it's the obvious answer! :) )

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

No it's not because I know nothing about TVs! :D

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Beat me to it. When I worked at Best Buy, we burned a plasma in 2 hours of leaving a DVD menu up. Game consoles would yield the same results.

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sorry. :D

37-32" and below go for an LCD.

42" and above go for a plasma, much better value for money. But be wary of screen burn - when a static image (DVD menu screen, games pause screen, etc) is left on a plasma for a length of time it can burn the image into the screen permanently.

Also, since its for a Xbox 360 and if you can, go for a high definition TV to enjoy the games in their full graphical glory. Plus go for as big a screen as possible or you won't see the benefits of the HD image.

Remember when technology was easy?!? :D

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok I want a relatively smallish TV so I should go for an LCD that is HD ready is that right? :p I feel like such a noob

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sounds good to me!

:D

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i would suggest going to a store to compare tvs for yourself. i personally would take a 40" lcd over a 42" plasma, but that's just me. everyone's tastes are different.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

But then you're paying more for a TV of inferior quality! :eek:

I agree with your suggestion of going to a shop and having a look for yourself. It's a lot of money and you want to be happy in your purchase.

15. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

if you're looking for places to go, my friend bought a 42 inch plasma from Costco. its a panasonic. he saw it rated really well on consumer reports. they also let him exchange it three times, not because it was broken but because it dropped in price over a year, so he got over $500 back.

i'm not sure how much knowledge Costco has when it comes to TVs but if find the one you're looking for, certainly check them out when you're ready to buy

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, I'd pick an LCD if I wanted something smaller, and a plasma if I wanted a bigger TV.

However, I really like the picture size and price combination of the DLP's and wouldn't mind sacrificing a wall-mount for a 60+ inch TV. Which means that my next (main) TV will probably be a DLP.

17. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i just upgraded my 43" Samsung DLP to a 71" Sammy DLP :D :eek: :D

not sure if i will ever leave the house again :eek:

18. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I just bought a 52" LCD. It's a 1080P sharp Aquos. There are few plasmas that support 1080p and those that do actually cost more then LCDs. In addition my LCD doesn't suffer from any burn in (unlike plasmas) and has black levels that are surprisingly close to the plasmas.

Finally (and this was the main reason I went with an LCD) LCD screens do not reflect light. My LCD is mounted on a wall accross from a bank of windows... our previous TV's were unusable between 4:30 and 7:00 as the sun set behind them. This is no longer the case with our new LCD.

LCDs have gotten a lot better in the past year. The costs have come down significantly and the quality is now equal to (and actually superior in some respects) to the large plasmas.

19. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

God it must be huge is it good quality.

20. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Don't forget screen resolution. Not all HD is equal. You have 480p, 720p, 1080p & 1080i where p stands for progressive and i stands for interlaced.

It takes 1/30th of a second to make a frame. Regular TV is broadcast in interlaced mode. Two fields = 1 frame. One field does the odd lines and the other field does the even lines. That is what interlaced means. Progressive is just the opposite. You start with line one and display 1,2,3, all the way to 480 or 720 or 1080 depending on your resolution.

If I was buying a high def screen today I would get a 1080p or 1080i.

This link give a good explamation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Right now I'd say LCDs and Plasmas are on par in the high end, but LCDs are more expensive. But I firmly believe that as LCD technology progresses, it will exceed the quality of very hot and power-hungry plasmas, and also eventually be cheaper.

In other words, I think LCD is the future.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Wow! So many responses and no one has really answered your questions. :D

LCDs no longer ghost. Particularly the good ones.

Plasma has a BETTER contrast ratio than LCD. (Plasma 10000:1 vs LCD 2000:1)
    but LCDs are improving.

DLP is basically a very bright bulb projecting through a small, transparent TV screen (like an old fashioned slide projector) then onto a large front panel.

LCDs are very bright so they are good for sunny or bright rooms.

Plasmas are darker and are better for darker rooms. They reproduce colours better. Power consumption is about the same as LCDs for similar sizes and burn-in, while still possible, is a lot rarer these days. If you watch a lot of standard definition TV or super-widescreen movies (black bars on sides or top/bottom of screen) then burn-in could be an issue down the road.

DLPs are even darker than plasmas and require quite a dark room to be viewed properly. A bulb in a DLP lasts a few years and costs up to $300 to replace.

42" is the dividing line currently as most LCDs are below that and most plasmas are above. When you get to about 60", DLPs are more common than plasmas.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Huh?

24. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

How do Plasma TVs burn?

Like the screens really BURN??

25. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I finally got around to watching "Master and Commander" the other day and enjoyed it.
    I want to build a modest home theater system. I want a good flat-panel. But I want an outstanding sound system. I believe sound makes all the difference.
    I played the movie on my Mac and I have a speaker system with a subwoofer hooked up to it and my lord, I could feel the concussion of the cannon shots through the subwoofer.