Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Hi everyone

I am busy scanning some old photos for iPhoto.

I just want to know, what is the best quality format to save it in: JPEG, TIFF, BMP or PNG?

I don't care about the size of the image, but just want the best quality.

Thanks!:)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Thanks!:)

Oh, and BTW, is TIFF COMPRESSED nearly the same quality as TIFF? Is it lossless compression?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ATD said:
A Tiff with LZW compression is lossless compression.

just a note...

.tif with LZW is definitely good, though I have had problems getting LZW to function properly with Windows. May have been peculiar to me, though, or maybe just an older version of Windows (as if newer would be any better)...

anyhow, just a thought

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
beatsme said:
just a note...

.tif with LZW is definitely good, though I have had problems getting LZW to function properly with Windows. May have been peculiar to me, though, or maybe just an older version of Windows (as if newer would be any better)...

anyhow, just a thought

I have never had a problem with it on a Mac, then again I don't use Windows. ;)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ATD said:
BTW a .psd file uses LZW.

really? hmmm...I wonder if that explains why the copy of Photoshop me dear old dad had on his PC always ran like sh*t...

yea I've never had a problem with LZW on the Mac either...funny how the Mac just seems to "work," eh?

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
beatsme said:
really? hmmm...I wonder if that explains why the copy of Photoshop me dear old dad had on his PC always ran like sh*t...

yea I've never had a problem with LZW on the Mac either...funny how the Mac just seems to "work," eh?

Photoshop was originally developed for the Mac, not the PC. I would like to think it's a better platform anyway. :D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Holy Cow...

ATD said:
Photoshop was originally developed for the Mac, not the PC. I would like to think it's a better platform anyway. :D

I just looked at your portfolio. I'm VERY impressed. Excellent work, sir.

Your XBox case design, btw, beats the crap out of the one they finally chose...figures. Microsoft...

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
beatsme said:
I just looked at your portfolio. I'm VERY impressed. Excellent work, sir.

Your XBox case design, btw, beats the crap out of the one they finally chose...figures. Microsoft...

That was an intense project (XBox), I did 7 case designs and 3D renders overnight. I didn't know they went with any case.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Oops.

I by accident scanned 27 images in BMP format. Will iPhoto recognise it? If not, can I somehow convert it???

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
dextertangocci said:
Oops.

I by accident scanned 27 images in BMP format. Will iPhoto recognise it? If not, can I somehow convert it???

I dunno if iPhoto will recognize them, though at a guess I'd say it will. And yes, you can convert them, though if it were me I'd just re-scan them. BMP is kind of a crappy format...it's ok for low-res printing (printed tee shirts, for example) but for high-res it's not so great. Even if you re-saved the BMP files as .tif, you'd just be saving the original crummy information in a different format. If you have the time, re-scan.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
beatsme said:
I dunno if iPhoto will recognize them, though at a guess I'd say it will. And yes, you can convert them, though if it were me I'd just re-scan them. BMP is kind of a crappy format...it's ok for low-res printing (printed tee shirts, for example) but for high-res it's not so great. Even if you re-saved the BMP files as .tif, you'd just be saving the original crummy information in a different format. If you have the time, re-scan.

Yep, once the quality slips you can't get it back by saving them into another format.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
TIFF definately has the highest quality, but if you're not a pro (and you are not if you ask these questions) you wont probably notice a difference between it and a hughest quality JPG. :) JPG will save you a TON of space

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.