Which is "faster", iMac 350 or G3 300?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ShaggyLR, Sep 15, 2004.

1. ShaggyLR macrumors member

Quick question, with general usage (no photoshop or anything) which would
    "seem" faster to the average user? The iMac 350mhz or the PowerMac G3 300mhz? I know that 50mhz is not that much, and the PowerMac has 16megs of VRAM over 8 megs in the iMac. Both macs have 512 megs of RAM running on OS X 10.3.

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The 50 MHz isn't going to make that much of a difference, but the VRAM will. Plus the Power Mac is far more upgradeable that the iMac.

Daniel

3. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

The G3 would be the better choice, just for the upgrades alone. The 300 can also be over-clocked Upgrades Site. The iMac will do what is needed, but the PM will do it better. The graphics card difference will all amount to squat in Tiger, as neither are supported, so no eye-candy. Go for the G3, and with a bit of money spent upgrading the computer, you will have a powerful, modern computer, that will go for at-least another 5 or 6 years.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Strangely, my dad's iMac 350 tends to boot up faster than my G3/400 would in Mac OS 9. Once that's done, the machines are pretty much the same, but in Mac OS X, the G3/400 is faster because of the hard drive.

5. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

It may work for 5-6 more years, but it certainly wont be very useful or powerful and modern for that matter.

6. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

7. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I believe you have taken what I said out of context. I meant that if, he put a G4 chip inside, the computer will be fast enough to last a few more years, than the old G3 equipped computer ever will. I have done a lot of research for my G3, and with a G4 chip inside, the computer will almost outperform an eMac. So, you tell me, will the computer be fast? The answer yes, will it be modern, maybe not, but it will run Tiger, and whatever comes next.