Which is faster: ordering by phone or online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miniguu, Oct 26, 2006.

1. miniguu macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2005
    Did a search and didn't cough up anything relevant.

An Apple rep told me that ordering by phone gets me faster shipping than if I ordered online (or cuts down on processing time) because he can "input it directly into the system."

Anyone know if this is true? About to pull the trigger on a new MBP :)
  2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    Dell says the same thing (when I ordered a couple of monitors). Wasn't any bit faster than ordering online, though. Perhaps in certain circumstances it will be, but in my experience, it wasn't. Course that could be difference than with Apple, but I imagine not.
  3. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Yes ordering by phone is faster via 1-800-MyApple, but what speeds things up even more is if you get the direct wire transfer information from your rep and then go to your bank and wire the funds directly to Apple's account with your Web Order Number.
    It shows up as a pre paid order and they process your payment faster so they can release your order to shipping.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Do phone reps get a commission or some sort of benefit to getting more orders placed through them? I think so, and, if that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me if you were told that to get you to order from them.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical.
  5. miniguu thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2005
    jsw> That's what I thought too, but hey he was probably just trying to do his job.

In any case I just ordered online because I don't really have time tomorrow to call Apple (and wait 25 minutes) to order.

Thanks for the input!