Which is faster? The human brain or a CPU?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Feb 22, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Ive always thought brains were faster, and that somehow,
    someday, we will have human brains in our computers. Like,
    computer manufacturers would grow human brains and use
    them as CPU's in their computers. :rolleyes: ;)

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

That's easy. The brain.

Because man invented the CPU, no CPU is faster than the brain the man used.

At least until superintelligent cyborgs are available as a consumer product... :cool:

3. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Food for thought:

Q: Can the human brain come up with a list of all the fast food restaurants in the United States in just a few seconds?

A: No.

Q: Can a CPU?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a CPU creative?

A: No

Q: Is the human brain creative?

A: Yes

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Exactly. I see where you're coming from. Man put up the locations of all the restaurants so the CPU could look them up for you as a "slave" brain.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as a mac user, i'll probably have to admit that the brains of PC users are faster. but my brain's more interesting. and stable.

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Q: Can a CPU take dictation?

A: Yes, but not very accurately.

Q: Can the human brain take dictation? Yes, and is extremely accurate (depending).

Q: Can a CPU understand (get meaning from) human speech?

A: No

Q: Can the human brain understand (get meaning from) human speech?

A: Absolutely!

On the flip side. . .

Q: Can the human brain store sound information?

A: No, but it can remember what kind of sound was made.

Q: Can a CPU store sound information?

A: Yes (onto a hard disk drive), very accurately.

So which is truly faster? The human brain or a CPU?

P.S. Am I messing with your brain or what? LoL. :D

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that's very unsound logic. it would be entirely possible for mans brain to create a faster processor-- it's not like the brain needs to match the speed to see what's going on. the brain is creative enough to refine the processor until it's very fast--

that said, i don't think a CPU is faster than the human brain. yet. it'll be a long time before one comes close, and by that time we'll be using organic products anyway-- i've been predicting an OCPU- organic processor that has cells instead of transistors. might even be self-healing...

that's a ways off, too...

pnw

8. job macrumors 68040

job

does the brain have a Mhz/Ghz limit?

do my eyes have a maximum resolution?

no.

in terms of raw speed for calculations, a computer will (obviously) always top a human. however, the computer still has a long way to go to rival the limitless capacity of the human brain.

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

As simple as this...

Try to talk about politics with a computer!

Cars are fast too, but they do not represent all ways of transportation.

Computers are good to help us out with things, they are an extension of us in one specific labor.

They are fast doing one thing, only one, but just see a robot walking, they are slow compared with any mamo. And they can just walk and do things realted to that.

If we are not behind the computer, the computer is nothing.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

At some things the human brain is faster, and at some things, a CPU is faster.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The human brain is by far superior. The understanding of the human brain is still in its infancy. The average human only uses a small percentage of their brain. Imagine what we could accomplish if we could just use 50%.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

According to Stephen Hawking (one of the most brilliant people alive today)'s book The Universe in a Nutshell, the brain of an earthworm outshines the processors at the time the book was written (which were Pentium 4s).

13. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

You guys are discussing the "software" more then speed.

If a computer was programmed with perfect AI (like our brain), then It would be thousands of times faster, BUT computers aren't programmed with that type of AI yet, so you cant compare the brain to a CPU.

I don't know that much about neuroscience, but does our brain have a MHZ or megaflops number?

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The strength of biological brains (including human brains) is in their ability to process things in parallel. Our brains don't process things as fast as a computer, but it's our ability to process billions of these threads at the same time that differentiates us from computers.

Brains vs. cpus isn't a fair comparison. It's like comparing a chair with a bus.

15. brogers macrumors regular

I guess speed is relative. My financial calculator can figure the future value of land based on a percentage and can give me a payment schedule faster than I could sit and calculate it. However, the brain programed the calculator to be able to spit that stuff out based on the buttons you press.

The CPU gives me all those restaurants I ask for because it pulls them from some central data base set up by the brain. If I had a reference manual in my home library of the same information, I could grab that and do pretty good myself.

Bottom line, the CPU regurgitates information it has been programed for far faster than our brains can spew it out, but it is limited to just that.

I bet if I turned on my computer and sat in front of it for three hours I could come up with an idea for a novel or movie complete with characters and plot far faster than the CPU. :D

16. Den-Chan macrumors newbie

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

to me, that article said 'no CPU's arent as fast as the human
    brain, but they will be eventually'.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(hitman) does the brain have a Mhz/Ghz limit?

>do my eyes have a maximum resolution?

>(Vlade) I don't know that much about neuroscience, but does our brain have a MHZ or megaflops number?

There are two different "systems", if you wish to refer to them as, which I think you guys are confusing. The "quantum" system involves exact numbers and count (700nm, 1.25GHz, 3x10^8 m/s, etc.). Everything can be calculated through numbers, unless it cannot be calculated or estimated, period.

The system you guys are confusing with the quantum system is the same system VCRs and CTRs use: the "analog" system. No numbers can be used for anything involving the analog system, except to establish a comparison or relationship visually.

19. crackpip macrumors regular

Your eyes' resolution

Your eyes do have a maximum resolution. You can prove this to yourself, by covering a light-bulb with something that you've poked two holes in. The holes should be pretty small and close together. Turn off the lights in the room so that you can see two dots where the holes are. Now back away until you can't distinguish the two dots anymore. You've reached the maximum resolving power of your eye, i.e. there aren't enough rods (or cones) receiving light from one hole without receiving light from the other.

You could do a similar thing with tones and your ear.

crackpip

20. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Actually the human brain can store sound and video, the average human can store upto 30secs of images and 30secs of sound (although this is just in the short term memory). The human brain actually stores all information it encounters, although we can not always access it. I can store sound and video information and I am not very clever or anything.

The human brain is meant to be a quantum computer, which is actually about 1,000,000,000x10 to the power of 1,000,000,000 faster than the fastest super computer. So we may not be able to recall the where all the cafes are in New York, but thats just because we only use 10% of our brains (some people less).

21. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Also dyslexic people actually have brains that are around 1000 times faster than normal people, that is part of the reason why they make lots of spelling mistakes, but are very good at other things.

22. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Now I know where people are coming from when they say, "Use the brains God gave you!" LoL. :D

23. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Can a computer emulate women?:D

I mean in their way of thinking.