Which is faster?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by crazysaxchris, Oct 7, 2005.

1. crazysaxchris macrumors member

crazysaxchris

Ok I'm thinking of getting my first mac. I was looking at powermacs and imacs. An iMac g3 has a 600 mhz processer. A powermac has a 400 mhz processer and is a g4. Which one is faster? Isa power mac an old computer will it work fine for simple video editing in imovie? Are the g4 macs slow any issues. Thanks

Does anyone have an apple studio display ( Do you they look good do you recomend one.

2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I used to use iMovie quite successfully on my old PM G3 450MHz with 448MB or RAM. However, if you plan on using the newest version of iMovie both of those machines may be painfully slow.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my 800Mhz G4 iMac is pathetially slow in iMovie HD.

I recommend getting a secondhand dual G4 PM. they are pretty cheap now, and they are still very powerful.

4. crazysaxchris thread starter macrumors member

crazysaxchris

I'm going to get a g4 powermac of somesort. How would one of those run tiger and imovie? How much could i get one for.
    Would one with 500 mhz be good?

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

Unless you're getting any of those machines for free, I would consider at least a G4 800 Mhz 512 Megs of RAM. ;)

You're in the Chicagoland area....tons of resources out there if you look. :)

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Unless you are only going to use it for iMovie I would recommend a refurbished G5 iMac if you can do it without breaking the bank.

7. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Always buy the best PC you can reasonably afford

I tend to agree with others that if you're using the Mac to run the latest version of iMovie (or even the '04 release of iMovie) then get the best system that you can reasonably afford. A G3 of any speed is probably pathetically slow with these apps. A single processor G4 less than 1GHz will probably huff and puff but eventually get the job done. Any dual processor G4 or G5 will probably be pretty decent, or an iMac G5. Mac mini is also an option -- less expensive than the iMac but also less powerful, however at 1.25GHz for the low-end mini it's still a pretty decent system.

In the end it comes down to what you can justify spending. If your work with iMovie stands a chance of earning some income, you can probably justify spending a little more for a used dual G4 PowerMac or a new G5 iMac. If it's purely for personal interest or non-profit work, well then the Mac mini looks like probably the best bang for the buck.