Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I'm looking to upgrade my current setup after this years WWDC, and I'm stuck between two options at the moment. A tricked out 24" iMac or a baseline Mac Pro and 23" Cinema Display.

The uses I need from it are pretty simple. I like to work in Aperture a lot of the time, and do occasional video editing. Not more than a few hours a month though. The main use of the machine will be Pages+Mail+Safari+Skype+Transmit+Aperture+Final Cut Express+Photoshop CS3.

Reasons why I want to upgrade:

I need more RAM
I need more HDD space
I need a larger screen
I need a better video card

These are all things which I can easily upgrade on a Mac Pro, which seems to me as if the main deciding factors of me "wanting" a new computer are crossed out with the Mac Pro, as I can upgrade just these things, where's with my current iMac I cant.

How many years do you think I could get out of:

A: 24" iMac up specced.

OR

B: 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro, 23" ACD (thats the only details you need to know as all other can be upgraded easily).

The difference is around NZD $2000.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
well, you said yourself that you're going to wait until this year's wwdc.

Just wait until the line-up for the summer. By then, who knows... maybe quad-core in the imac (probably not) and oct-core in macpro (probable).

If you were to buy a machine right now, I would ask you how much would $2000 hurt your wallet?

Is buying a $2000 more machine a good "Business Decision" for you? Or would you only want it because it'll be a little bit faster?

Personally, I couldn't see myself spending $2K more on a machine, but seeing that I don't do any photo-editing, I don't need the horsepower.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I would go with the Mac Pro if it is going to earn you money?

Are you buying this yourself, or family chipping in? $6000 is a lot for a home computer.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
To answer a few questions.

1. I will not be buying until WWDC.

2. I can buy with an Educational Discount

3. I will be earning money from the machine, in the terms of writing content. I am a writer for a few magazines, and a blogger for a few online publications. Photography work, video work, and graphics are all just hobbies.

4. I will be paying for the whole machine myself.

I will also be looking to purchase a second display after I've had the computer a while, I really have an eye for style, so I'd like to go with 23" Apple Cinema Displays - but I'm always open to change.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
How many years do you think I could realistically get out of a Mac Pro?

I can't really answer that question for you.

For me, no desktop machine in the past twenty years has lasted in its original form for more than 2 years. In fact, they're usually replaced or reassigned these days after a year on the outside.

The Pro is a decent platform, and is properly upgradable. I'd say 4 or even 5 years is possible out of it if you drop in a CPU/GPU upgrade along the way and you don't upgrade your software too often.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 + Dell 24" would be the way to go. Forget iMacs and grow up. Hopefully this will be an even more attractive option after WWDC June 11.

So if he buys an imac he's a child? I don't see the logic behind this? If, for what he's doing, he won't see a large performance difference... why should he shell out the extra cash? He could invest the money that he saves and make even more money. Like I said, since this is a business decision, treat it like one. Don't get a macpro to be "grown up", get one because it makes fiscal sense.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
So if he buys an imac he's a child? I don't see the logic behind this? If, for what he's doing, he won't see a large performance difference... why should he shell out the extra cash? He could invest the money that he saves and make even more money. Like I said, since this is a business decision, treat it like one. Don't get a macpro to be "grown up", get one because it makes fiscal sense.

Chuh, you didn't know iMacs were childrens computers?:rolleyes:

Do explain, multimedia, please.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Yeah, the iMac seems like the best deal to me. Who cares if its not upgradeable. Upgrading is overrated - if it seems like its run out of gas at some point, just sell it and buy a new model.

Also, its still Dual Core which should be pretty fast for CS3, Aperture, etc. And anyway, you're only doing that stuff a few hours a month - 90% of the time you'll be in Word.

I would get the iMac. No, actually I would get a MBP + External monitor and keyboard, but that's just because I need to move around when I work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.