Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I am looking for a Wacom tablet for my MacBook Pro Retina running Mac OS and Windows 7 64-bit. The main uses are: 3D modelling under SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, 3DMax, Illustrator and Photoshop CS6 Mac version. I don't see any need to have a screen on the tablet. What is the ideal size? Any recommendation appreciated. Thanks.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It depends on your needs, space, and so on.
I personally find 10X7 to be a perfect size. Smaller is a no-go and bigger would feel too cumbersome IMHO.

Now, the question is, since you're asking. Is there any compelling reason to get a Wacom (expensive)?
I have a 10X6.25 monoprice tablet and I couldn't be happier (40 bucks when I got it a couple years ago, plus the tip replacements are like 1 buck for 5 tips).

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hello, I am looking for a Wacom tablet for my MacBook Pro Retina running Mac OS and Windows 7 64-bit. The main uses are: 3D modelling under SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, 3DMax, Illustrator and Photoshop CS6 Mac version. I don't see any need to have a screen on the tablet. What is the ideal size? Any recommendation appreciated. Thanks.

Saying Wacom is rather generic. Did you mean a typical stylist/tablet combination or something like the Cintiq?

The only thing I can say is you really need to get a good feel for either of the above to take advantage of it. I have used both and while the Cintiq (for photo work) was a great tool, I found that a typical Intuos (small and medium sizes) work as well and at times better.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
For real precision nothing beats an A3 tablet but most people seem to get away with less. If you have the space and want the best control then get A3, it will be especially useful for painting on a large screen. Most professionals used to use an A3 when a 21" 72ppi crt monitor was standard. So using an A4 on a current hi res 27" monitor is a big difference.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am using two systems:

1. MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display. As you know, the laptop has a very high resolution of 2880x1800. Most of the time, I connect it to an external 24" LCD monitor (1920x1200) as the main display while using both screens at the same time.

2. Windows 7 64-bit on PC connected to another external 24" LCD monitor. Again, the resolution is: 1920x1200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.