Which is the better deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Nov 26, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hey, I'm ready to buy a newer Mac that is used. I'm considering giving up my Powerbook for a new one. Anyways here are the deals:
    350MHz iMac (slot loading) Code name Kihei w/128MB RAM, 7GB HDD, CDROM, Keyboard, Mouse, and Powercable - $199
    or
    333MHz Blueberry iMac w/128MB RAM, 6GB HDD, CDROM, Keyboard, Mouse, and Powercable - $173

I dunno what a 17MHz difference is going to make

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Go with the slot loading, the tray does not come out of the screen and knock things over or get broken off. Upgrade the RAM and the hard drive.
    Neither of these is a newer mac, we are talking four years old at least.
    I am not sure what OS one can put on these. I know that on a iMac 500mhz can run 10.3.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

iMacs can have OS 10.3 on them. They all have integrated USB.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

hmmm

I'm not really sure this will be a significant upgrade for you. You already have a larger hardrive and more ram in your PB. Maybe you can find a faster CPU upgrade for the laptop and keep that going longer until you can afford something newer (i.e., within the last year of so).

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

... I do need a new Mac.... maybe I will just save up for an iBook.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

stop buying old systems!!! just live with what you've got, and save... it'll be worth it... better experience, better performance, longer lasting... you get the point...

reality

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I totally agree.
    Don't waste your time and money on something slower than a G4/500+ or a G3/600+.
    If you will have good OSX performance get a machine with Quartz Extreme compatibility and 512MB+ RAM.

The iMacs you are looking at WILL be slower than you wallstreet, unless you get more RAM and a new HD in them.