Which is the slimmest most conforming sleeve for MBA 13" (mid-2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BiscottiGelato, Aug 29, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

2. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
  3. macrumors 68020

InCase are nice bags.

4. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

For those looking for sleeves that have that "lip" (for example the Incase sleeve the OP linked to), just be warned that in my personal opinion, the lip makes it quite cumbersome to put in and take out the Air. I imagine this is even more true when the sleeve is a really tight fit. I returned this Speck sleeve (http://www.speckproducts.com/pixelsleeve-macbook-air-sleeve-13-black.html) because the lip required stretching it a bit to get the Air in/out. This also made me concerned that the lip would get loose (it was already beginning to seem that way after a few uses).

Instead got the BoxWave Elite leather sleeve:

Attached Files:

5. macrumors regular

I recently got one of these - http://mintcases.com/

It has a felt interior for protection from scratches and my MBA is snug in it; it doesn't slide out on it's own.

I really like it. It seems to be very high quality and has a nice design.

6. macrumors 6502

I've got a joli originals for my 11" certainly a really slim sleeve :)
    There is a topic about these sleeves somewhere on this forum!

7. macrumors newbie

Mind posting pics?

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors member

10. macrumors 65816

11. macrumors 68030

you don't get more slim than a suede sleeve by sfbags.com

12. macrumors 6502a

B737

13. macrumors 65816

When I saw the Acme Made sleeve at the Apple Store, I wasn't impressed. After I read the good reviews, I decided to give it a shot, and I really like it for all of the reasons that you state, especially the "no zipper" part. I always seem to rake the MBA against the zipper when I've tried other sleeves: the MBA was never scratched by a zipper, but it bothers me.

14. macrumors 6502a

B737

argh...

forums are so frustrating, so much good info here...
    i was just posting about the sleeve i bought two effin days ago, as im leaving the forums i see a thread a few threads down that has this...

it looks even thinner than the ACME sleeve, just a felt lining. its a bit over priced, at $60 to your door but it looks to be about half the thickness of the ACME sleeve, which is minimal to begin with...

i just ordered one... [​IMG]

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13275000&postcount=34

15. macrumors regular

Here are a couple pics. As you can tell it's just a simple leather case, but it is very high quality. It won't protect from falls or anything, but it's perfect for providing scratch protection if you have your MBA in a bag. It's a snug fit and I really like the felt lining.

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Beautiful that mate, you can't beat real leather. Hate the manufactured or corrected grain garbage.

17. macrumors newbie

That, my friend, is an awesome case. I can't quite tell whether the case you got is brown or burgundy. Care to share?

18. shoebobs, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

macrumors regular

I got the "Dark Brown." It looks a bit darker on their website (at least with my MBA screen), compared to in person. Also, the case has a nice soft, natural leather feel to it rather than the shiny/plastic like leather you find on couches.

http://mintcases.com/products-page/macbook-air-11/macbook-air-11-leather-sleeve-dark-brown/

On the guy's Etsy profile, he states the following: "I make leather sleeves designed specifically for MacBook's, iPad's, and iPhone's. All sleeves are handmade from top grain cowhide leather."

It ships from Utah, and I would much rather give my money to a small, handmade manufacturer. I've had it for a few weeks now and another nice thing is it makes a good pad to set your MBA on when it's just on your desk.

19. macrumors newbie

Thanks for that! I'd much rather support a small business as well, if at all possible. Which is exactly why I just ordered one!

I did email mintcases to find out what colour your sleeve was, pointing them to this thread. Super fast response too... as in I emailed at 9:40 and got a response at 9:41.

I can't wait to receive the case and will be sure to post pics too.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

I am looking for one that protects from all sides, and have no zipper. In this case so far it's still Incase and Speck that fits the bill. Incase still looks the best by far I think... Just hard to find and lack of colors to choose from.

21. macrumors regular

just pre ordered this in black for my sons 11" should have wed of next week looks thin and lightweight. Im waiting on the red for my 13" that will be available mid month

Attached Files:

22. macrumors member

Agree completely. I bought one of these and it's great. I wasn't after something with massive protection; I just wanted something to cover the Mac while it was in my bag so this works perfectly.