Which keyboard to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rtjstevens, Aug 3, 2005.

1. rtjstevens macrumors regular

I'm about to buy an iMac (20 inch) (or a bottom end PowerMac).

Should I get the standard Apple keyboard + mouse or the bluetooth version? Problem is that I don't like the Apple mouse - and the new Mighty Mouse is not BT.

As a complication I have a USB Microsoft extended keyboard at home at present in use with my G4 -so I could use this instead.

If anyone recommends a Bt keyboard AND mouse - I'd appreciate model number etc.

Thanks RTJ

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Honestly I'm a bit partial to the standard Apple keyboard and mouse that comes pre-packaged. I can't find any faults with the keyboard (its comfortable and durable) though the bluetooth portion is up to you, personally I don't want to have to deal with batteries so thats why I have the standard one. Your thoughts could vary though.

And well if you don't like the apple mouse at all, then go pick a normal microsoft or some brand up. No point in waiting for the new mightymouse becoming BT if you dont like it in general.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The keyboard cord isn't long enough to go from the back of my iMac to the back of my desk and through the keyboard tray.:( Went and bought a USB extension cable but it's 6' long! The shortest I could find. So now I'm thinking about maybe getting a BT keyboard.

4. Hattig macrumors 65816

Personally I'd get the wired keyboard and mighty mouse. The standard keyboard I use at work came with an USB extension cable.

5. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Really? My PowerMac shipped with a USB extension cable in the box.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I feel so shafted right now. Not only did I not get an USB extension cable like, at least two of you, but my iMac had a busted optical drive (which took over 3 weeks to have fully resolved). Sigh. Oh well, you lose some, you lose some. :(

7. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I have the bluetooth mouse/keyboard for my iMac & I love them. I find it useful to not be tied down by the cords.
    Some have said that the wireless accessories are battery eaters, but I just recently switched out the batteries after 4 months of use. Then again, I'm not a particularly heavy user & I turn them off at night. I suppose it depends on how much you'll be using them.
    Good luck!

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Apple's standard wired keyboard is delicious. Just tested it not too long ago and if I ever buy a desktop Mac again that will be my preferred keyboard. As for mouse, I haven't tried the new Mighty Mouse, but it looks very promising...

As for wireless: Unless you're allergic to wires, or want it for a laptop, I would recommend not to get any. I've tried a few different models, and they are nothing but trouble. Bad reception creates lag, they always go to sleep at the wrong time and takes time to start up and all this gets exponentially worse as the battery is drained...

9. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

We just got a iMac G5 20" in May. Love it. We got the BlueTooth keyboard and mouse to go with it. Very nice. Great for when watching DVDs. One thing though is there is no PowerOn button on the BT Keyboard. There is one on the iMac on the back.