Which Laptop to Buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Jan 5, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I dunno looks pretty crappy to me. 10.6" screen?, thats a little small for me. The only thing that looks nice about is is the HD, but that processor looks pretty slow. Also $2,000 is way too much. Id say go for the iBook or Powebook

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well look, you come to a mac site and ask which to buy, we're going to tell you to get the mac, obviously. The reason most of us are here is because we really like macs, and usually prefer them to PCs.

That said...
    I would not like that little notebook. Unless you are carrying it around all day every day, and you're very bothered by carrying extra stuff, I don't see why anyone would get a 10.6 in. computer. I have a 12" PB, and it's so amazingly portable that I just can't imagine needing anything smaller/ lighter. And looking at a 10.6" screen all the time... I couldn't stand it. I'm going to get an external display because I even get tired of this 12" display. 10.6" would be much worse - too horrible for more than occasional use, IMO.

PC vs. Mac aside, I just don't like 10.6" notebooks, and don't see a need for them. I know some people want apple to make one, but I think the 12" PB or ibook (or 12" PC notebook, if that's what you like) is plenty small enough.

btw, I don't see where the previous poster got $2000. These notebooks aren't that expensive... neither are the 12" apple portables, though.

4. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I see your point, just thought I'd mention it. I am glad to hear you say the 12" is portable enough. I see your a Red Sox fan hope you get A-Rod.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

The one on the far left is $2000. I didn't realize that was the high end one. I think that is pretty damn expensive for what you are getting.:rolleyes:

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Even though I bought my first Mac a few months ago, I'm already considering getting the absolute cheapest iBook available just so I can have something to carry around and fiddle around with on roadtrips and whatnot.

7. niter macrumors 6502

I was thinking the exact same thing. As for portability, the difference between this computer and the 12" iBook are minimal. In fact, the iBook is thinner, which I find easier to fit in a bag. Go with the iBook 12". I have it and it is so very portable and stylish and powerful. Portability was very important to me, and the iBook meets all my needs. The other computer looks like a pain on the eyes, asthetically and small screen size wise.

Dimensions and Weight
    10.27"(w) x 7.80"(d) x 1.55"(h)
    3.85 lbs

iBook G4 with 12.1-inch display
    Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
    Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm)
    Depth: 9.06 inches (23.0 cm)
    Weight: 4.9 pounds (2.2 kg)

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I have the absoulte cheapest iBook (not in that way!)--$679 refurbished from apple's online store.

9. JCT macrumors 6502

Getgo,

I have one of the previous models of the Fujitsu (the 2120P). It was my "go-everywhere" laptop. It was much slower than the one you are looking at, but it served me well for 2 years.

However, I'm replying to you on my new "go everywhere" laptop .... an Apple PB G4 12" . Yup, replaced the Fujitsu with a PB (my very first Mac, no less). :D

Why did I switch? Lots of reasons, but the main ones were the display size on the Fujitsu started to get to me and the PB keyboard is much better. And this was a BIG switch .... I've used PCs for > 15 years and self-built over 30 of them.

The PB size, form and function is outstanding .... and OS X is, well, *fun* to use. I smile every time I take this machine out. I figure that if you have to work on the road you might as well enjoy it ! I may have bought my last PC ....next year maybe a dual G5, who knows?

Oh, and if you want to save some bucks, we have a G4 iBook at work .... it's an impressive machine as well. Built like a tank.

Good luck with your decision, it's a great time to switch and an iBook or PB is a great way to test the Macintosh "waters".

JT

10. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

JCT
    Thanks for the reply, I guess it's going to be the power book. I always like to buy the higher end of anything I'm buying. As long as I can afford it. I really like the looks of the power book and as long as the 12" screen is small enough to carry around and move from room to room I think it will work for me. I was talking to a guy at work and he says he can get me some Mac software to load. You know like Excel and Word the stuff you always need. If I couldn't afford the PB I would buy the ibook everyone says alot of good thing about it too. Some people told me I might have have a little trouble getting used to working on a mac. Is this true? Why is there no right click mouse for a mac? Anyway thanks again for the info from everybody.

11. bubbamac macrumors 6502

If you're just carrying room to room, don't limit yourself to a 12". Get the 15. The extra screen real estate is priceless.

Almost any two button mouse will work natively - no drivers needed. It amazes me that Apple refuses to ship a two button mouse.

On your PB, you'll get used to CTRL-Clicking pretty quickly, to emulate a right click.

When starting out, remember - it's NOT Windows. You've almost got to play like you know nothing about computers - because it's intuitive.

Good luck!

www.smalldog.com
    www.macconnection.com
    www.macmall.com