which laptops are due??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vidiot, Apr 3, 2007.

1. vidiot macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2006

I now no one know the actual answer to these questions, just trying to get some opinions and projections.. Which of the new Intle laptops will be updated next?? The Mac Book Pro, or the Mac Book.. I may have some money in our budget to purchase some Mac laptops(first time-always PC laptops in the past) and i do not know much about the timeline and lifespan for the Intle Laptops.. Trying to make an educated guess..

Mike m.
  2. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    If calling the release of leopard an update then both will be updated. If not, then MacBook Pros are usually update first. I guess, the next update will be leopard + Santa Rosa.
  3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2007
    MacBook Pro because it's a pro machine and Apple usually updates pro machines first. On average, laptops last about 3 years. Also check more info on Santa Rosa platform that is scheduled to be included in the next MacBooks and MacBook Pros.
  4. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2007
    There are two rumors regarding laptops coming this year:

1) Laptops using LED-backlit displays
    2) An ultra-compact 12" laptop using a flash hard drive.

No ETA or concrete details.
  5. vidiot thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2006

I was refering to Hardware updates to the laptop.. I am aware that leopard is due late spring/earlysummer..
    Thanks all,
    Mike M.
  6. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2007
    I thought the LED-backlit displays rumor was no longer a rumor but fact.
  7. localoid macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2007
    America's Third World
    Apple has yet to provide any official word regarding updates, but if Apple desires to remain competitive in the notebook marketplace it will probably release (at least some) updated notebooks as quickly as possible.

In regards to Apple's competition, here's what has been recently reported: Several notebook manufactures have promised availability of Santa Rosa products by early May. Several ODPs (the companies that make the products) have indicated shipping of Santa Rosa products will begin near the end of April.

Thus, it's possible Apple might release/announce some new notebooks or other Santa Rosa based computers as early as sometime during the first half of May. But whether or not that actually will happen is the big question. ("Hope for the best -- but prepare for the worst") :p
  8. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Mar 22, 2006
    My dream MacBook:

Santa Rosa processors

1440 X 900 screen resolution

LED backlit screens

Backlit keyboards

Non-intergrated graphics.

An option for a 160GB (or larger) 7200 RPM hard drive straight from Apple

Oh and all the little problems ironed out

I think thats it for now :D
  9. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2006
    That sounds just like a MBP?? Or do you want the price of a MB, keep dreaming. In my opinion the MB will always have integrated graphics becuase over 50% of people who think they need dedicated graphics really dont.
  10. zblaxberg Guest

Jan 22, 2007
    nothing is fact until we see it
  11. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    MacBook Pro...the MacBook is the only Mac that isn't in need of an update. And the Mac Pro since it just got updated.
  12. maxp1 macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2005
    Poking around it seems like Santa Rosa is due to be released May 8th. SO probably no updated MBP or MB until early June. I'm betting in WWDC for a grand unveiling of new Apple gear. It seems like the whole product line is getting a bit long in the tooth.
  13. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2007
    Well, it's no longer a rumor either since it has been announced...
  14. JNB macrumors 604

Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    I do seem to remember one of the Apple/Intel lovefests in the last year or so made mention of Intel releasing production quanties of its newest processors to Apple early (as part of the still-new relationship).

It may be kaka, but I wouldn't be shocked to see SR-based MB/MBPs as early as oh, mid-May. Possibly even earlier. Total WAG on my part, but it has happened before.
  15. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2004
    Apple has never said they are going to use LED-backlit displays. Manufacturers have announced them and showed em off... but that has nothing to do whether Apple will ever use them.

still a rumor...
  16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    But this still requires that Intel meet Apple's production quantities for the MacBooks, which is a lot higher than most other PC makers would need for production quantities of their next new machine.

If Intel can build them, Apple will get them, likely in most cases Apple will lag the market as Intel ramps up.

Or Apple can always do what they did with the Mac Pro -- add a machine at the top end for a premium price until the parts come down in price and/or quantity scales up allowing full replacement of the line.

Wait for the "we want it now" crowd to scream about the high prices and low quantities of the new machines if Apple does add a machine above everything else.