Which Lavs?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pdpfilms, Oct 26, 2006.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm starting up a series to film throughout the year. We're formulating a gear list, and are realizing that some wireless lavalier mics are going to be crucial. We'd like to get two, and have about a $1000 budget for them, preferably a little lower. We'd also like to be able to mount both receivers on a single Panasonic DVX100a. Here are my questions:
    -What mics would be best for that budget?
    -How do the recievers mount to cameras?
    -Is there a solution to mount both receivers to a single camera body?

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    How do recievers mount:

We use velcro... lol
    Superglue velcro to the recievers and superglue velcro to the camera itself... works wonders it really does

Connect both to one camera:

Get a Y cable of a sort, one side with the male and the other two with female connectors. Plug each of the wireless recievers into the female side and the one male side into the camera and whalla! lol now you have two mics on one camera!
  3. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Woohoo! The thread didn't die!

Thanks for the response. I was actually wondering about physically attaching both receivers to the camera, not providing the input. My DVX100a has two XLR inputs so I'll be fine there. I thought there might be some hotshoe attachment for the receivers, in which case i would need to find something to make my one open hotshoe into two, for both recievers.

But if it cmoes down to it, velcro sounds great.
  4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Lectrosonics are the best, but pricey. Look into the Sennheiser EV1 series. They go under $1000 and come with really nice omnidirection lavs.
  5. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    In my experience (as a sound engineer, NOT film related), as far as lavs go - the Shure UR series are the best sounding with the best & most accurate pickup patterns although I guess that's a bit out of the budget & the rackmount receivers wouldn’t work too well for you. The best second option that fits in your budget (again, in my opinion) would be the Sennheiser EW series. The receiver is a bit too bulky to go on the actual camera, but you could strap it to your belt or in a pack. For $1000 you can get two complete sets, but again I have to stress I'm not a film guy so this may not be what you're looking for...

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    I use Lectrosonic when I need portability and Sennheiser when I can plug in.

The Lectrosonic I use can take any XLR mic from a Lav, hand held or shotgun/boom. The Receiver is about the size of deck of cards and has a flex ant. Both parts run on 9volt battery. (The receiver can be plugged into AC if needed.)
  7. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I can't check the exact model until I get back to school on monday, but we just picked up a nice set of wireless lavs with a 2-channel receiver that mounts in our Sony PD-150s' shoe mount. Don't know if your panasonic has that but it is a snap for us, if a bit front heavy.
  8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
  9. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Consider the Azden 200ULT. It's a 2 channel system that works off of a single reciever. Not of sennheiser quality, but it doesn't suck either. It's call it great for the price. 2 channels of wireless for around $600.
  10. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    Have used the Sony UWP-C1 UHF Diversity systems. They run about $500 from B&H.

They are very good, if not quite as amazing as the Lectrosonics (which of course also ran about $1200 for one unit, I think).

The Sony receivers come with an adapter to mount to a camera's accessory shoe. However, don't see any provision for stacking 2 receivers. Guess you could tape/velcro one to the other, if that's advisable... If you go with these, pick the best freq range for your area.

Sennheiser has a great rep, but have never used their wireless mics... Some Samson models look interesting, but haven't heard anything from anyone who's used them.

Don't bother with cheap "prosumer" (~$200) systems, we have gotten no decent range out of them.

Good luck.