Which LCD is the best?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacManiac1224, Jan 20, 2003.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying an LCD, but Apple's LCD's are just too expensive for what I am getting, I don't want to pay $1000 for a 17 inch when I can get a better LCD for less. My question is, what is a good LCD that is 18-19 inches in length and is in the $1000 price range?

Do you guys have any ideas? Thank again

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

11 in 30? that sounds terrible. how can you think 1/3 ratio of defective products is good? after hearing this i would never buy a dell lcd.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

11 pixels in 30 screens is pretty good.

Apple apparently won't replace one unless there are 10 faulty pixels (in one display)

arn

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Sounds like you don't have too much experience with LCDs. Dead/misfiring pixels are very common, even on pricey displays.

1600x1200 is 2.1 million pixels, and each one is a circuit.

11 failures in 30 million circuits in VERY good in my opinion.

At macworld, I noticed 5 displays with more than one dead pixel...these machines are hand picked for trade shows, and still weren't PERFECT.

Sadly, perfection in LCD panels would cause costs too SKYROCKET because techniques do not exist to manufacture 100% fault free motherglass, and most production would have to be scrapped.

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

FORMAC!!!!!!!! I have a 17" formac and i love it. They provide great images, and have ADC which is a nice bonus. I also belive they have a 2 dead pixel maximium on there screens, but dont quote me cause mine has no dead pixels so i have never really looked into the warrenty.

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ive heard peopel say this before and that hasnt been my experience. in our lab we have lots of lcds and we have had two that arrived with dead pixels. apple replaced both no questions asked. 1 dead pixel in one and two in the other. out of several hundred lcds ordered oly two have had dead pixels and they were immediatly replaced. id say that sounds way better than the dell record above.

i would never use a lcd with a single dead pixel so someone telling me i have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a defective display tells me to look elsewhere.

but really the best way to buy a lcd is to buy in store rather than over the internet so that you can open the box and test it. this is how i would suggest anyone bu any lcd or computer for that matter.

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I'm assuming that you, like me, get much more response when returning corporate (high volume) purchases.

The individual consumer does not get anywhere near the same sort of love.

Apple have denied my RMA even though I had enough dead pixels, as one was out of the 'circle'.

I have since started piggybacking my personal hardware on large client orders.

Most of my clients don't even notice dead pixels, and the ones that do usually don't want to bother with a return, but they are present in Apple monitors with close to the same pixel/million ratio as Dell, in my experience.

Furthermore, I have great success conivincing clients that LCDs are good based on reduced power costs and employee eye strain, but people don't often pay the 200-300% premium for the Apple products, even if they are a tiny bit less likely to have pixel anomolies.

I agree that buying in person is the way to go, sadly that is not an option with the Dells, due to their massive discounts online.

Be aware that when I say dead pixel, it may not be dead entirely, just fails to render red, shows blue on a green raster, etc.

9. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

question

i am also interested in an lcd to compliment me 22" sony flat crt but have been scared away by the thought of dead pixels, the lack of screen shields for lcds(i always imagine a young relative or company sticking a pen through it), and what native resolutions really means and of couse high cost, basically if i lower the resolution does it get blurry, i am used to changing it all the time on my crt for games 6x4, music apps internet 16x12, others 12x10 how bad is it at these other non native resoulutions or am i getting worked up over5 nothing does anyone have a no dead pixel policy i know i would have screaned murder if my sony had 1 i always new trinitrons have two horizontal lines but better color over there shadow mask competition. any comments appreciated cause lcds are not cheap

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Cornea Systems

For value you can't beat the Cornea Systems 18.1" for $529. Only does up to 1280x1024, though. Here's a link:
    http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/detail.asp?dpno=501292

I have their 17" model with built-in TV-Tuner and DVI, S-Video, and Composite input, and I've been very happy with it. Since my apartment is tiny I got a wall mount for my 17", and can view it as a TV from anywhere in my studio apartment. Only downside is that if I want to use the 17" with my iBook, I can't move the desk from where it is now. Here's a link to the wall mount, I highly recommend it:
    http://www.omnimount.com/product.asp?p=40

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've only got a 15 inch KDS radius model and I've been very pleased with it and the new models are supposed to be much better than this one.

Samsung have impressive models and their LCDs are used by Apple in the laptop computers, and maybe, the desktop monitors too. Besides, you can also get models with built-in t.v. tuners. :)

12. bombensington macrumors regular

not true.

13. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

My Sony X72 (17") TFT is a better picture than my Apple Cinema (22").

400:1 ratio and DVI, and 2 x VGA so effectively a built-in KVM switch ( I switch between my PM and my PB). It also has a 200MHtz processor built-in just for re-draw.

Kicks ass for $550.

14. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Why you say this? I've heard lots of times that the warranty for dead pixels in Apple Displays is 10... Can you please explain why you say this?

15. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I've heard if you have Applecare they'll replace for 2, otherwise, 10.

16. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

formac

I just read something about the Formac 17"...they have 2 models of it - one allows for 2 dead pixels and has a 3 year warranty, another allows for ~7 dead pixels and has a 1 year warranty, and costs a $100 or so less.

17. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

FORMAC 2010!

Absolutely incredible! 0 deal pixels on mine and they guarantee maximum 2 dead pix per display! 20.1, 1600x1200, 600:1 contrast, blah blah...
    And the connection is dual. ADC and DVI so you can switch between older and newer machines.
    http://www.formac.com/p_bin/

18. cubist macrumors 68020

Someone have a simple program to turn the whole screen blue, green, red, in cycles so we can see the dead pixels easily?

BTW another advantage of LCDs: Remember purity? convergence? degaussing? focus? All gone!

19. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

The easiest thing to do is create a set of continuous tone images (R, B, G, black, white, yellow, etc), and make a screen saver.

This will present each color as a full raster.

20. multifinder macrumors member

Re: question

I'd never changed the resolution from native 1280x1024 on my 17" Apple LCD, but I just tried it out--it's pretty hideous, 1024,x768 looks like someone smeared a stick of butter across the screen. Playing games at different resolutions I haven't noticed it though, but I wouldn't try surfing the web or writing a letter in anything but native resolution.

21. Wano macrumors 6502

What exactly is a dead pixel?...and are they very noticable?

22. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Pixels can be damaged and not respond. Since LCD have millions of actual pixels, there is a chance that one or more pixels has a problem and may stay off or stay on one color. Most times it's not really noticeable. Sometimes, they can be more noticeable.
    This should not scare you off though. I currently have 3 LCD's at home (iMac 15, iBook 12, and Formac 20) and 4 at work (Apple 15, and 3 crappy ones for the PC's). Most of them have a bad pixel or two, but they are not at all bothersome.
    CRT's have their advantages, but if your not a gamer, or need incredibly exact color accuracy, LCD's are the shizzy!

23. Wano macrumors 6502

Don't the Formac displays have true color...or something like that?
    ...and I have always been under the impression that LCD's are better than CRT's...but it seems that i am wrong.

24. bombensington macrumors regular

i know for a fact that it's not a certain number. it depends on many factors, and taken on a case by case basis.

just because one person one time picked an arbitrary number (10 in this case) and said that's the hardfast rule of the dead pixel doesn't make it right.

25. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Yes, the more expensive Formacs are supposed to be color correct, but there are still photo/print picky folks that say CRT's are still better. I COMPLETELY agree with you. LCD's rock!
    *Less space *Less weight *Less energy consumption *Better on your eyes *Phatter looks ;)

Anybody have more advantages to LCD's?