which mac best for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fishinmom, Oct 26, 2006.

1. fishinmom macrumors newbie

hi,
    just returned to apple after years of denial. Threw out the evil PC's and bought macbooks for my boys. Now the three of us are fighting over who uses the 2 macs. I homeschool so this is a real issue.

So I guess it is time for me to buy my own and give them their freedom. But which one would be best for me? I mostly do homeshool stuff on the ma along with my itunes. Although i am looking at getting back into gaming a lil. And i will probably be forced into working in ilife.

Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

24" iMac, if your budget will accommodate it. Fast, quiet and good-looking.

3. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

iMac sounds like the ticket unless you need laptop portability. GO for the size that fits your needs and budget.

4. tarjan macrumors regular

5. fishinmom thread starter macrumors newbie

1. portability is an issue. 2 active boys, mac must follow:)

2. I homeschool = not rich, money definately an issue. though willing to invest, just need to make sure its the right one.

3. Don't desevre to own a mac? Whyever not?

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Sounds like buying a 3rd MacBook might be your best option. If you really don't need DVD burning, you can just get the base model as I did for only $1099 (I also bought 1 GB of extra memory that I installed myself).

7. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I'd suggest picking up a refurb from the apple site. I recently purchased the lowest level of Macbook for $949.00. It works and looks as good as new, and costs a hundred fifty bucks less.

8. joe50000 macrumors member

Consider getting the 2.0 ghz Macbook and upgrading the ram. It's a hearty system that will last you a while.

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

You should have goten a laptop for yourself and an imac for the kids. I would say stick with the macbook, get another modle since you know what your getting.

Another option would be to sell one laptop and get an imac for the boys.

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

What are you on?

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I would have suggested you get an iMac since you said you'd like to game on it a little, however if you guys are fighting over the Macbooks now, then thats likely to continue once the boys see the larger screen of your iMac? Count this as another vote for a Macbook, if only to save the peace. :D

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The iMac gives you better processing speed, much larger and faster storage for all
    thoses photos and music files, and dedicated graphics to better support gaming
    along with a beautiful large display.

The 20" model would help you if you're doing any page layouts and would make gaming a dream.

The trouble you'll have is keeping the kids away from your computer unless you lock it in your room.

If the iMac is going to be a family computer, then at least the additional storage
    capabilities will give you enough room for your administrative account and your kid's limited user accounts.

MacBooks are great if you want portability, but they do have their limitations
    and you do pay a premium for portability.

The newest iMac uses the Merom 64 bit Core 2 Duo processor, where the
    MacBook is still using the Yonah 32 bit processor.
    The MacBook uses shared video memory while the upgraded iMac gives you either 128 MB or 256 MB of dedicated Video RAM.

Overall, the iMac gives you a much better bang for your buck.