Which mac can play games without any problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by SLJ, Aug 12, 2003.

1. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

okay, i really want to know which mac can play games without any problems and the performance is comparable to Windows performance as well... I just play starcraft on the 12" and I am a little disappointed... Please tell me which mac can play the following games... without any jerky game play...

* Warcraft III + Frozen Throne
    * Diablo + Lord of Destruction in 3D mode
    * Starcraft + Brood War
    * World of Warcraft when it will release...

2. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

i'm going to take a wild guess and say the g5, but anything below that i don't know.

3. texas2001 macrumors newbie

My Quicksilver 2002 G4 runs those games fine (except WoW). I have upgraded the video card to a GeForce 4 Ti and I have 1GB of RAM. What do you mean run Diablo in 3D mode? I have it running at 800x600. Is this what you mean?

4. whawho macrumors regular

Dual 867 MDD

I own a Dual 867 MDD with 1.75 gigs of ram and a Geforce 4ti and I haven't had any problems with any games I have tried. I usually run all the games on 1024 x 768 or 1280 X 1024 with Medium to High detail and get good frame rates.

Some games I own: MOA:AA, WC3, AOE2, Undying, SimCity 4....

5. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Re: Which mac can play games without any problems

Sure, that sounds like fun.
    I probably get between 30-50 frames on an 867 G4, 512 MB, GeForce3.
    You will need an old computer to do this. (He means perspective, I think, which is barely noticeable IMHO). My machine runs it in OpenGL TERRIBLY. However, my friend with a 400 Mhz iMac DV with an 8 MB Video card gets about 40 more frames than I do. It's a result of bad, bad drivers. There are rumors that version 1.1 of Diablo 2 will fix this. Is it out yet? Anyone know?
    I get impeccable speeds with StarCraft and Brood War.
    I'm afraid I haven't played it yet (is there a public beta that I can jump into?) Chances are my comp won't make it, though. I need to upgrade, I'll probably get a G5 next year.

My current specs:
    867 Mhz G4
    512 MB PC133 (the bad kind, i think it's 3-2-3 or something like that)
    GeForce 3

6. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

most Macs can play games fine. The 12" on the other hand...

As long as you stick Power in front of Mac and it is running on a G4 (or G5) then it should run decently. Excluding the 12" PowerBook because of the no L3 cache thing.

7. bryanc macrumors 6502

The only game I have is warcraft III (I don't have much time for games). It runs beautifully on my 667 MHz PowerBook. If I turn the eye-candy all the way up, it starts skipping frames in big combats, but otherwise my little powerbook is more than adequate.

Cheers

8. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Basically anything above a Geforce 4MX or above a Radeon 7500 will play all of those fine. Any CPU about 733 should be good, but the video card is what's important

9. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I have the Perfect Gaming Mac

It is an SE-30 with a whopping 16MB RAM! It plays Crystal Quest and Invaders! like no one's bizness! Smooth as butta...

Sorry to be sarcastic: I find the whole concept of gaming so far from my situation-in-life: I cannot fathom why someone would rather sit in front of your Mac and partake in a chasm of violence, fantasy or role playing when the real breadth around our lives and reality offers so much in the form of stimuli...

Besides, I think gaming drones should be on the platform the rest of the drones are on: a Wintel.

Ah, please forgive me; I am in quite the funk today! I am not directly critizing anyone, just the whole gaming "culture" as a whole....

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I remember playing Crystal Quest, Tristan, and Crystal Caliburn on my old Mac II and loving it like it was one of my childrens. Those were the days. If you were good enough, you could play FOREVER.

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

If you want the ultimate gaming mac get the Dual 2.0ghz with the 9800 ati card. Of course that will be very expensive(In my eyes) You can probaly get by with a a1.25ghz Powermac G4

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, most any other Mac you get will run games better than the 12", unfortunately. I hope Apple takes a few liberties with the updated version and gives it a good shot in the arm to bring it up to speed.

13. Kev6 macrumors newbie

I have a dual 1.42 with a Radeon 9000 Pro and I run Return to Castle Wolfenstein at 1280x1024 with highest settings at 120 FPS. I haven't tried War3 on it but I think it would run fine.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i had a 667 TiBook with 768MB RAM and it played WC III fine, except for a little jerkiness when i progressed in the levels for some reason. :rolleyes:

if the new G4's are the 7457, then they should be sweet. :D

15. whawho macrumors regular

Re: I have the Perfect Gaming Mac

Oh come on. You sound like an anti-gamer snob :) .. Just because you don't game doesn't mean it's lame ;) ... Me I am an insomniac and I mostly game during the weeeeeeee hours of the night when most are sleeping. But I game just the same... me and my friends (and wifes) get together for a good PS2 party anyday....Sippin and playing video games is allllllll good.

I am a generation-x'er designer...and the Mac has been a superior platform to design on, for me.... I love my mac and the Mac OS.... there's nothing better than dropping a Photoshop design onto your Indesign Document ... without minimizing sheeeeet :).... I started on Windows and once I tried the Mac I was hooked..such a quality and logical OS. I loved the fact that they CARED as much as I do about how the GUI looked... So just because I love the mac doesn't mean I shouldn't game.. that's just silly... I mean come on..what else is there to do when your grounded for fuggin up (back in the day) except play Super Mario Bros 3.. :) So I guess I'm an evolved gamer. I use my Mac to design on and although I don't get every game... I like the fact the I CAN game on my mac....

not dissin...

Regards,

Scott

edit: changed a to an... such horrible grammer :p

16. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

A Mac Plus.....

shufflepuck anyone?

kewl, i'll guess that a G5 iMac will run WCIII-TFT quite happily with muchos on the eye candy.

sambo. is pleased :eek:

17. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Neverwinter nights and all the expansions run's great on my mini with almost everything on high..

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wow.. nice Threadromancing (def: bring a dead therad back to life), this one was almost 2 years old!

19. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thanks, man! You just saved me some minutes cause I was just about to write something similar!
    :D :D