Which Mac? DP 867 or 1.6 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 10, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Currently using a Wallstreet G4/500 - but it won't drive a monitor so I'm in the market for a Mac Desktop. I don't do anything highend - just normal office, web, light iphoto work and some Java. Watch movies and itunes.etc.
    I have a real limited budget - just about $1200 (and I'll need ram, etc).

So, I am trying to decide what the better purchase is for my needs- a G4 DP 867 or a 1.6 G5. I know they are real high now - but they may come down later in the month and I can get a Educational discount.
    From what I've read a DP will be better than a SP.

One consideration is noise - I'd lean towards the G5 if it is real quiet..

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

While duals are usually always better than a single, the disparity between 867 MHz and 1.6 GHz is a lot. The G5 will definately be faster. It also comes with many newer technologies, so it is more "future-proof". And to answer your last question, the G5 will be much quieter than the G4. G4 towers are quite loud, especially the last few models. The G5's purr along until you really start taxing the processor.

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks - and when I checked a refurb/"new" 867 will be about the same as what new 1.8 DP will be if the prices come down as much as I hope and I use my ADC discount.
    I'll wait...