Which mac for games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by yoshiii, Jun 16, 2006.

1. yoshiii macrumors member

Jan 13, 2006
    Hello I will be buying a mac soon but not sure which. I am looking at the older G5 tower(1.8), last years g5 tower, 1.5ghz powerbook, new mac mini, or macbook.

I want to be able to play these games on them: WoW, Warcraft 3, diablo 2, s

Which one of these would be good? I don't have alot of money. If bought the older g5 would a agp NVdia 6800 be a good card? How about the others?
    Also what is considered good frame rates?

Help want to buy soon
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I noticed you didnt mention iMac? a refurb iMac would make a nice machine for gaming as long as you get a Intel version not G5. I wouldnt buy any G5 machine or G4 now that we have the Intels. Why be hindered by yesterdays PPC?
  3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2004
    Intel Imac has an excelent card for those games, they are old games so the Super fast X1600 128mb will be more than enough.
    I use to play WoW on my PB with 64mb card, and it run well
  4. yoshiii thread starter macrumors member

Jan 13, 2006
    I am looking for a g5 because some of the software I will be using doesnt have a intel mac version for it. I want a tower for upgradability. But still thinking about a mac book or mac mini for side things.
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I got rid of my Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz yesterday but for the last year it had been my main machine, it has a 6800 Ultra DDL and was perfect for the games you mention above. Actually it was perfect for everything I wanted except being portable. So I say GO FOR IT. :D
  6. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I personally would go for the MB, or even the PB, because of the portability. They both have 64MB VRAM, same as the 1.8Ghz G5 tower. But if you don't need portability, The G5 tower is good, but the intel macs are better. The iMac would probably be you best choice if you don't need portability, otherwise if you have a tight budget, the mac mini should be ok.