Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I am a current Windows XP user (just got a new computer a few months ago) and I am wondering how powerful a Mac I need.

I do heavy internet use, video/image editing, word processing, watch DVD's, iTunes, and sync it up to my PDA.

I really want an iMac (should I sell my Windows laptop? I love it and it's brand new!!). Will the 1.6 Ghz be enough for me? Or should I get a Powerbook? I am looking in the $1500-2200 price range; I want at least 768-1 GB ram.

Suggestions?

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
The iMac should be perfect. People often underestimat the iMac for power because it is a 'consumer' prodcut as opposed to a 'professional' one, but it's a G5 and wickedly fat. I can't imagine a Powerbook would be ideal for watching DVD's or editing images and video.

If DVD's are really important, go for the 20'.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If you don't need portability i would say go for the iMac. That machine is really nice. Plus with the money you save on the machine, you could spend more money on upgrading ram. But don't buy ram from the Apple store (waaaaay too expensive). Buy it from http://www.crucial.com or other trusted retailer.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Thanks!

If I order from crucial, do they install it or do I buy it and install it myself? I've never installed RAM before, though I'm planning on putting some in my parents' old Dell, which if I mess up it won't really matter; I don't want to risk ruining a new iMac.

Yeah, I think I definitely want the iMac...though I may throw in a basic iBook for my portability needs later on. One thing I've noticed on iBook and Powerbook screens: they seem kind of dim/not very clear compared to my Windows laptop. Anyone else notice this??

I'm on a budget, so I want to keep the price low, but I don't want to shortchange myself. Which would you recommend out of these configurations?? Would the cheapest work ok or just aggravate me that I didn't put in the extra $$?

17' iMac (1.6 ghz)
1 GB 2 DIMMs RAM
160 GB HD
Airport Extreme Card
Bluetooth Module + Wireless keyboard
Total: $1802.00

17' iMac (1.8 ghz)
1 GB 2 DIMMs RAM
160 GB HD
Airport Extreme Card
Bluetooth Module + Wireless keyboard/mouse
Total: $2002.00

20' iMac (1.8 ghz)
1 GB 2 DIMMS RAM
160 GB HD
Airport extreme card
Wired keyboard/no Bluetooth
Total: $2053.00

Extra iBook option (is this notebook useable for any type of "heavy" work or just internet browsing, word processing, light image editing, etc.):
12 1.2 ghz
768MB RAM
60 GB HD
Bluetooth
Total: $1274.00

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.