Which Mac is Best For Media/DVD Burning?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by electropop, Sep 11, 2004.

1. electropop macrumors newbie

I hve a power mac g3 right now and want to get a new comp since this is a few years old.

I want to get one that works great at making recorded dvd's and such. i mainly use the comp for mkaing cd's/media/mp3's etc, and want to get a good one that can burn dvds well.

im also looking for the most affordable since im not rich.

would a new iMac g5 be good for this? looks like a good deal.

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Well although the imac is great and will work well for years to come and do anything with it that you will ever want... and as far as i can see you can get superdrive (burns dvds) emac for 999 and a superdrive imac for 1499 but i can emphisise how much better the imac is.... you could opt for the 14 inch ibook however the imac is so much better

my advice would always be the imac as it offers GREAT value and is a top machine.... but if you cant afford the imac the emac will be good...

3. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Agreed, iMac rocks, but eMac is cheap and good, you could even get a refurb one for cheaper from the Apple Store...

If you're really into burning, though, it might be worth it to wait till they start incorporating Dual-Layer functionality into Macs. Dual-Layer doubles the storage room on a DVD. Or, you could just get a computer with a regular CD drive and get an external drive... they already have external dual-layer capable drives.

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

isnt dual layer top and bottom? and you need a special disk?

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

To answer your question, which mac to buy for dvd and cd burning, i would have to say any mac that has a G4 (or G5) processor would work best for you.

I used to burn alot of cds and data cds on my G3. It just didn't seem like i could work in other programs, while burning a cd, or else i would get a buffer under run. But, since i bought my G4, and upgraded my optical drive to the Pioneer DVD-RW (DVR-107D), i haven't had one single problem.

However, since you are looking into getting a iMac G5, i would have to say go with it. The iMac would greatly out perform my Dual G4 by all means.

If money is your deciding issue get the eMac, if money is not that big of an option, then get the iMac G5 for even more speed.