Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
I currently am a student for computer science and have a pc (piece of crap) anyways and looking for a mac to buy really like the Imac G5 but also looking into used powerbook g4. I rarely will take it anywhere but I am leaning toward the Imac. What kind of questions should I ask myself to help with my purchase of the Imac? thanks

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the usual questions to ask yourself....budget - how much can you afford to spend of hardware and software....what kind of software do you want to use the computer for - high-end games or audio/video/graphics stuff or just basic internet/word processing/iTunes etc etc...once you/we know those things it is easier to help you with recommendations....oh yeah!

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If you don't need portability, get the iMac. It is by far the best machine for the money. I wish I could buy one for my house, but i don't have the money right now.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
JzzTrump22 said:
If you don't need portability, get the iMac. It is by far the best machine for the money. I wish I could buy one for my house, but i don't have the money right now.

I second this.... if you just want portability and no external monitor get an iBook, if you want portability and an external monitor get a powerbook and if you want a desktop get the iMac.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago while shopping for my first Mac. I went with the PB because it was more upgradeable (I know that sounds weird, but I'll explain). If you're one to change computers every 2 years or so, the iMac has it's monitor built in, so if you sell it, you'll have to get a whole new monitor unless you get another iMac. If you're in college, the 12" PB would probably be perfect as it's VERY portable for class. I got my PB because I plan on getting an ACD soon (either a 20" or 23") to hook it up to; then, when I go to college next year, I'm going to buy a PowerMac to hook up to the monitor (I already have keyboard/mouse) and keep the PB for portable stuff.

If you think you're only going to have one computer for the next few years, the iMac is a heck of a deal -- very powerful. But the PB is a very capable machine for future uese (just max out the RAM; I haven't done mine yet and I get the beachball a lot, but only very briefly).

Good luck! I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose :).

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
mariahlullaby said:
I got my PB because I plan on getting an ACD soon (either a 20" or 23") to hook it up to; then, when I go to college next year, I'm going to buy a PowerMac to hook up to the monitor (I already have keyboard/mouse) and keep the PB for portable stuff.

Mmmmmmm PowerMac G5 ;) I have to say I was blow away at how much faster the powermac G5 really was in comparison to anything I have used before. What a machine!

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
jc0481 said:
I currently am a student for computer science and have a pc (piece of crap) anyways and looking for a mac to buy really like the Imac G5 but also looking into used powerbook g4. I rarely will take it anywhere but I am leaning toward the Imac. What kind of questions should I ask myself to help with my purchase of the Imac? thanks

don't they ask you to program in visual C++ , .Net or some other stuff that requires Windows for your computer science course?

if you don't need portability get the imac

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Get the iMac. but I can't imagine not wanting portability. I guess its just me :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.