Which Mac Mail App for MacBook Pro ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2007
    Heaven or Hell
    Hi There, I have been using Gmail recently, and have been recommended to start using a mail app, as some people say it has some advantages....but i was wondering which mail app is the best for my MacBook Pro 15". Should i get Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Entourage or Outlook Pro or any others ??

thanks a million, FF
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Mmmm, well, to start with, Mail, Thunderbird, and Entourage are all sensible alternatives. I guess the other major option is Eudora (which apparently goes open source this year), although most Mac users use one of the first three. Outlook for Mac really shouldn't be an option unless you have some specific reason to be using it.

It's hard to answer the question of which of those first three to use without knowing at least something about what you want.

All three will support GMail roughly equally well.

The biggest difference between the three is that Mail is a mail-only program (that integrates with iCal and Address Book) as is T-bird, whereas Entourage is an integrated apps that has PIM functionality plus some basic project file management tools (project center).

Mail and Entourage will be fairly easy to sync with PDAs and so on -- T-Bird will probably leave you on your own for that.

T-Bird will look and feel pretty much like a Mac version of T-Bird. So if you're used to it already, it will feel comfortable, much the way Firefox is great when you're browsing on more than one kind of computer.

Other than that, honestly, all three function pretty similarly. They even look fairly similar. I didn't find anything to be a major challenge in moving from Outlook on PCs to Mail on Macs.

I personally would start out with Mail, which is what I use.