which mac suits me best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by itamar, Dec 4, 2003.

1. itamar macrumors newbie

hi,
    i'm a graphic desginer and currently thinking out loud about buying a mac (portable), i'm not sure however which one is best suited for me.
    i'm using flash mx 2004, photoshop and some 3d packages,
    is the iBook enough for me? or should I go with the more expensive power books?
    is a 12" screen big enough? - doesn't seem so , i've been told that it's pretty small and that I should get at least a 14".
    any help?

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

My guess is that the extra screen room on a widescreen portable would help you in photoshop etc.

Personally I'd get a superdrive 15" powerbook and change the drive down to a combo - that way you get a better processor. The 14" ibook has the same resolution (1024x768) as the 12" - only each pixel is bigger. The 15" powerbook is 1280x854 so more room for palletes etc.

3. itamar thread starter macrumors newbie

did you have any exprerience working on a 12" screen ?

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Yes, I have a 12" G3 ibook and a 17" studio display (1280x1024). Apart from the obvious size difference which makes things easier, the resolution can be an issue. In general use (web / mail / word etc) I'd say it's not a problem but I have noticed when you've got a few palettes open in photoshop it's a bit claustraphobic.

Personally I wouldn't want to use 1024x768 for too long for PS work but I'm sure there's plenty here would disagree! I just feel that a wider screen resolution wise would be better.

The 17" powerbook is a fantastic machine and has a brilliant screen but it is a bit too expensive and big for my tastes. The 15" seems a good compromise. I don't own a 15" powerbook so I'm just basing this on machines I've had a go with in stores and my experiences with a 12" ibook and a larger 4:3 screen.

5. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Get a 15" Powerbook. Its incredibly nice, and you have tons of screen real estate. Its extremely claustrophobic to use PS on a small screen. The 15" is well worth it.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Gotta go with the majorty here - get a 15" PowerBook, I think that's your best bet in the long run. And if you don't care about burning DVDs, just downgrade to the combodrive as well.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

IF you get a widescreen PowerBook, you will soon fall in love with the wide aspect ratio and wonder how you ever survived without it. It's like a regular monitor with an added strip on the side for all your palettes.

8. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Take a 12''PB and use the laptop screen as dual monitor to put your palettes if you are short on cash.

BUT if you have the money go for the 15", its the same just bigger and faster (also FW800). Dont get the faster HD, you better use an external HD in an FW800 enclosure. Its faster, cheaper and safer.

But if performance is really important to you, ask yourself if you really need a laptop, a dual processor powermac G4 can be much faster for graphic work. That said, PB rock!

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well, what kind of budget contraints do you have, if any at all? Certainly if you're going to be running web designing applications a larger screen would be much more desireable. If it were me I'd opt for the 15" Alu.

10. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

**~ A Sting ~ ** (sorry I had to)

I'd probably contribute my recommendation, but I rather do so with people who purchase software than with those who are proud of pirating them.

I'm an artist as well, though after selling my artwork throughout the globe both through the web and galleries, seeing how dirty the market is (piracy is just one element) I completely sympathize with (almost) all business oriented houses, by purchasing their products.

:S :S

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Who said anything about pirating (on this thread, anyway)? :confused:

I'll chime in for the PowerBook, not just for the screen size but for its ability to support dual monitors. And the performance is generally agreed to be better for intensive work than the iBook, as well.

12. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

well not on this thread, if you read the previous thread of itamar where he's mentioning he's 'merely' copying the visual art software from his work to his own computer, you'd know why i said that. He didnt promot or bragged about piracy, but I've been suffering the costs of piracy which is awefully irritating.

I apologise, I take back "proud of pirating them".

anyway, sorry to cut in like that.