Which Mac to buy? (Comparable to P4 3gig)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zero2dash, Oct 11, 2006.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'm looking for some advice as to what to get.
    I primarily web surf, do some downloading, and use CS2.

I have a P4 3.0c with a gig of PC3200/DDR 400 ram.
    My computer got infected with some spyware BS last night (despite running Ad-Aware and Spybot as well as having Symantec A/V Corporate and SpywareBlaster installed) and I haven't been able to get rid of it (yet). My computer is the 4th computer within the last 3 weeks that I've witnessed get infected with a new piece of spyware and (quite frankly) I'm at the end of my rope with Windows computers and I'm about to just sell it for whatever I can get for it and purchase a Mac even if it's not a iMac C2D or MacPro like I really want.

I was thinking about maybe getting a Mini because I could probably get an even trade by selling my PC for what a new Mini would cost.

Would a Core Duo Mini be similar in speed to what I have now? I know the Mini is about half the clock speed, but we all know that the Pentium 4/Pentium D "Netburst" architecture is a pile of crap anyway. I was thinking - maybe having a Core Duo clocked at 1.6 would almost equal out to what I have now since the CD would (obviously) be dual core. Plus the Mini would have faster clocked ram and a faster FSB (I believe).

Would the Mini suit my current (emergency 'cause I'm done with Redmond) needs? I will eventually get either a 20" or 24" C2D iMac or (preferably) the 2.6g MacPro, but I'm feeling desperate right now to chuck Windows out the frickin' door.

I thought in the past about getting an older dual G4 (like a dual 1g MDD) but I can't help but think that the Mini would be a better choice for me. I also can't help but believe that despite CS2 running through Rosetta if I get a Mini, it will probably still outperform my P4 at the same tasks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A mini would be the best choice if you're looking to upgrade down the road to a newer Mac. Buying a PPC Mac now is just not a good decision.

Make sure you pack as much RAM into the mini as you can afford, Rosetta uses RAM to make emulation as fast as it can so the more you have the quicker it will be.

The mini should comprehensively spank your 3GHz P4 at most things. The 1.83GHz would be worth a look in as it gives you a dual-layer DVD drive and enough oomph for comfortable playback of 1080p video. If you already have a screen, keyboard and mouse the 1.83GHz is a good deal, if not, look at the 1.66GHz or the two 17" iMac versions depending on your budget.

But yeah, as much RAM as you can afford, then HDD space.

3. theheyes macrumors regular

If you rely on CS2 for any sort of production needs then you're going to want to bootcamp any Intel Mac you get and run it on Windows. Photoshop through Rosetta is seriously slow mate.