Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Nickygoat said:
What else is there to do with the North? Best thing for it, really.

ahh yes a londonder, come take a look at the north and compare it to the dregs of the earth that is the south of england, and yes I have lived down there, horrible people, horrible place! give me chips and gravy any day!

I remember going on a school trip to Windscale / Sellafield, tour round the plant and to the visitors centre. excellent tour!

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
garybUK said:
ahh yes a londonder, come take a look at the north and compare it to the dregs of the earth that is the south of england, and yes I have lived down there, horrible people, horrible place! give me chips and gravy any day!

I remember going on a school trip to Windscale / Sellafield, tour round the plant and to the visitors centre. excellent tour!
Leeds born and bred (mostly). I was always taught the dregs were in Manchester :p.
mkrishnan seems to think that Leeds will be worse with radiation transmogrified chavs roaming the streets - unfortunately it's been like that for years :eek: :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nickygoat said:
Leeds born and bred (mostly). I was always taught the dregs were in Manchester :p.
mkrishnan seems to think that Leeds will be worse with radiation transmogrified chavs roaming the streets - unfortunately it's been like that for years :eek: :D

ROFL well, but Manchester also produced the Smiths! :)

plastique45

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
apple_g5 said:
Please tell me this is just a bad joke! -> i just can't believe this!

Of course it is, like a guy competent enough to be hired as chief tech in a nuclear PowerPlant would go on the internet and post on a forum asking tennagers what computer he should use....

Use Tiger, and get a widget to monitor core temperature. When too many red alert signs pop up, use Exposé to clear your desktop and click the "Emergency procedure" Applescript in your dock...

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
plastique45 said:
Of course it is, like a guy competent enough to be hired as chief tech in a nuclear PowerPlant would go on the internet and post on a forum asking tennagers what computer he should use....

Well... a computing diploma is my qualification. Not quite chief tech material.

The bods at Manpower mighty impressed when they saw me 'open' and 'save' a 'document' in Microsun Word 2000.

I'm currently trying to write the Nuclear Reactor software using Flash MX. Unfortunetly I'm a little stuck- I cant find a Movieclip Symbol that will enable the second reactor to shut down in event of probable meltdown.

Cant be that hard... its not like its rocket science.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
geese said:

The bods at Manpower mighty impressed when they saw me 'open' and 'save' a 'document' in Microsun Word 2000.

I'm currently trying to write the Nuclear Reactor software using Flash MX. Unfortunetly I'm a little stuck- I cant find a Movieclip Symbol that will enable the second reactor to shut down in event of probable meltdown.

don't forget to have multiple polling function and independent sensors as well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
geese said:

Try a Star Trek fan site. I think it's the same plugin they used in Voyager to eject the warp core in every episode. :)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
to be totally REAL about all this. the only truly reliable system/sw to run something this critical on would be cray/bsd. this is the kind of thing that if it cannot be done right then it should not be done at all.

what do others in the industry tend to use? find out and use that..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
zen.state said:
to be totally REAL about all this. the only truly reliable system/sw to run something this critical on would be cray/bsd. this is the kind of thing that if it cannot be done right then it should not be done at all.

what do others in the industry tend to use? find out and use that..

LOL this is my favorite thread in here so far. You've clearly never been inside a nuclear power plant! :eek: :p :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
geese said:

Ah, now I get it! You're developing a Flash Game :D

Meltdown!

D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why use a Mac at all???

Actually, for this kind of mission-critical thing, simple = safer. I run two nuclear reactors from my iPod, connecting to my Mac only for occasional maintenance. The system works like a charm.

Go for the color screen, though. Trust me, the difference between "black alert" and "dark gray alert" just doesn't convey the necessary urgency, when you're looking at a China Syndrome and all you want to do is get home on a Friday night and watch some TV.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you find that you have to keep a second iPod for your music listening needs, or does the iPod handle both the music and the reactor? I'm really trying to cut down on the number of unlicensed portable nuclear generators I carry around.

iSwift

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2005
Kansas
mkrishnan said:
You definitely want to use Windows 98 to get adequate stability for that kind of application...hmm...it's so demanding, I might even recommend WinME instead. :rolleyes:

very.....very......very funny. That post made my night lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.