which mac.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NusuniAdmin, Apr 4, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Well school is almost out, and i am almost to get into 10'th grade (unless i screw up the last quarter for this year....). And my dad promised me a new comp in may, right after we get my report card in. I am thinking either a powermac g5 rev 1 (if rev 2 is released before july), a ibook g4 14", or a pbook g4 12". I have also been thinking about a emac 1 ghz superdrive with maxed out ram as well, but i am not a fan of all in ones. I will be using it for school stuff, as well as photoshop and studio mx 2004 junk, and programming stuff, and maybe vpc junk. Mobility would be nice, although it does cost a whole lot more. wut do you guys think. I am kinda leaning toward ibook g4 14" but.....still a little paranoid about it dieing. Also been thinking about the iMac, possibly 17 or 15 inch.

Wut do yall think? I am not looking for the top of the line kick @$$ one either, anything is better than this beige g3, haha.

(actually when my 3'rd quarter grades come in, on monday, if they are good he might buy a comp now, it would be VERY nice if apple released something this week, or possibly next week.)

Thanks everyone!

P.S. when the wwdc 2004 keynote is put on the web, check out my page (link in signature) and dl the movie! :)
  2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    if u dont care about protability g5 hands down you get "the worlds fastest, most powerful personal computer" well esides marketing the g5 will last longest you can upgrade over and over you have a revolutionary 64 bit chip and if you can buy a display somewhere else theres no reasomn to get an i/e mac over it

ps if u dont need that beige g3 ill take it a free mac is always a good mac
  3. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    G5 or iBook

Ignore the rest, you want either the G5 or the iBook (why are you paranoid about it dying? iBooks are very reliable and hearty).

Why the G5?

1) The G5 is the next step up on computers. Within a few years, 64 bits will be the standard, so you get a G5 and you're ahead of the game. In addition, it's blazingly fast.

2) It's far more powerful than what you need for what you're going to do--but that means it can grow with you. You can pile on the programs, make changes to it. G5's can grow and adapt. An iBook is, well, limited. Limited number of ports, limited amount of growth. A G5 is a good investment that should satisfy your needs for many years, including through college.

On the other hand, it's not portable. Which brings us to the iBook:

1) You can take it with you to a friend's (to show them what you're doing) or to school (if you don't think it'll get stolen) for typing up notes, or showing the teacher your work. You could watch a DVD while eating lunch or flying on a plane. Put in an airport card and you can now surf the net at the breakfast table or in bed.

2) You might be wondering, why an iBook rather than a powerbook? iBooks are "bomb-proof"--meaning, they'll take a lot of punishment if you toss them around. Not that you SHOULD toss them around. You should have a very nice padded bag for an iBook. But let's be honest--you toss your backpack aside when you come home, right? Just toss it without a second thought. Well, you don't want a powerbook in that backpack, 'cause if you do that to a powerbook, it'll dent. An iBook won't dent. iBooks are good for teens--they don't have to be handled gently like a Powerbook. Also, ibooks have a Longer battery life. Powerbooks get 2-3 hours tops. iBooks get 3-4 hours.

Though a laptop costs more, remember, it comes with screen included. Get a G5 and you'll need to buy a monitor for it.

In the end, it really depends on your lifestyle and computing needs. If you have an on-the-go lifestyle, then you want the iBook. Really, it's 1G should do all you want this computer to do--at least till you graduate High School--and you can take it just about anywhere. If, on the other hand, you're a stay-at-home guy who's very serious about his computer, get the G5.
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    If you decide portability doesn't matter at all, then go ahead and get the G5. Now that I've owned laptops, though, I don't think I'd ever want my sole computer to be a desktop machine. You do take a significant hit in processing power; but most people aren't running anything where they'll see that difference IMO. In my pre-Mac days I had a P3-600 Dell Inspiron laptop, and a work desktop with a 2.6GHz P4 - so the desktop machine would open windows in 2 seconds instead of the 4 it'd take on my laptop. :D

I have a 15" Al Powerbook, but I think for your situation I'd agree with thirteen1031 - the G4 iBook is probably a better value for the money. For what you want to run the iBook should handle it no sweat.
  5. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    haha thats only why i used to own a ibook but it died in 2 days, lol, i am paranoid about it dieing because ibooks records are far from clean when it comes to repair and stuff, well then again thats the g3 one, have not heard anything bad about g4 yet...