Which MacBook case?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ITASOR, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just a note, the Apple store link won't work once your session has "timed out." But a quick look at just the photos of the cases, my gut is drawn to the Brenthaven one. They're both the same price but that one seems like it has been constructed better.

3. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Unless you're going for the professional look, I would recommend a good backpack and a sleeve. Its the most versitile (you can use the backpacks for multiple things, and the sleeve dual functions as a pad to put under your MacBook to keep the bottom from getting scratched when you are using it).

For days when I am in a hurry I use my Dakine Helipack.

Most days I use my Marmot Carson pack because it has a slip that is conveniently MacBook sized.

In both, because I was cheap, I use a slightly oversized Targus cover.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like the sleeve & backpack combination. It doesn't advertise that you are carrying an expensive piece of equipment to be stolen s well as a laptop bag.

I would NOT, however, put the sleeve underneath my Macbook Pro when I am using it. The sleeve is Neoprene, which is an insulator...and the MBP/MB already produces enough heat. There are small rubber pads on the bottom of the unit to prevent it from being scratched, and they work just fine.

I have an Incase sleeve for my Macbook Pro, and it is great. I can't imagine the Macbook size to be much different in terms of quality.

5. enda1 macrumors member

Why do people buy these geeky monstrosities?!?!?

Just get a neoprene sleave and carry the macbook in whatever you normally use to carry your stuff (your briefcase, backpack, school bag etc.)

Seroiusly I really dont get laptop bags. Also they are a please rob me sign!

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Geeky monstrosities? It's a bag for a laptop...when I go places, I don't carry a backpack, briefcase, etc. I just carry my laptop if I need it. Therefore, I need something to carry it in. Occasionally I'll put it in my backpack, that's why I'm looking at the Brenthaven bag/sleeve.

I don't really think those really thin neoprene sleeves offer that much protection in a backpack...they're so thin. Don't you think that Brenthaven thing would protect it even better against falls, etc.?

7. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Better motor skillz will protect it from falls. No case around is going to protect your laptop from being dropped.

8. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

i have a lovely sleeve from www.fabrixcases.com

nice and tight, and then i just put it in a shoulder bag. Great and original too!

9. iGary Guest

iGary

I've had both - get the incase - much easier to get the lappy in and out, and better storage pockets.

10. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmm, I didn't even notice that the Brenthaven had no outside pockets. That doesn't really matter though because when I bring my laptop, I only bring it...no accessories or anything other than the iSkin, which is inside it. I have the incase one for my iBook and love it, the only reason I was considering the Brenthaven was because it looks like it protects the laptop better.

I think I'm going to go with the incase since I know what it's like already.

11. Haarball macrumors member

This one is brilliant:

http://www.be-ez.com/gif/home/visuel_h_vertigo.jpg
    http://www.macplus.nl/beeld/producten/1798.jpg

It's a shoulder bag (the best kind of laptop bag, IMO), it protects the Macbook, it's got room for iPod and various other things I'll carry around for lectures and stuff - perfect!

I'll either use the machine or put it in the bag, so I don't see the need for an additional case that I have to carry around (and risk dropping) or put in a seperate bag. This one solves every issue, as well as having room for my iPod and looking quite brilliant.

12. enda1 macrumors member

Just buy a bag and a sleve. DONT buy a bag specifically made for laptops. This is just personal taste but i think they are so tacky looking! Not at all professional, like some people have mentioned. If you're a professional get a briefcase, if not a canvas shoulder bag maybe or whatever suits you, but not a laptop bag!

Though i admit the ones you showed weren't the worst ones i have seen. Look at Dells bags! They almost weigh as much as their laptops! And they are as ugly, and thats saying something!

13. brandon6684 Guest

I've always just stuck my laptops in my back pack. I did at one time have a laptop shaped bag, but it was just too inconvenient to carry the extra bag around.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Plus you look like a total nerd :)

15. Horst Guest

Maybe it's because a sleeve offers little to no protection . It prevents scratches, and that's about it. Those neoprene sleeves don't absorb any impacts, you really need some sort of hard shell for that.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually....they do. While laptop bags offer more protection than a sleeve, they are also larger and draw attention to oneself. Sleeves are, by design, light and low profile. They will absorb your average drop from waist height just fine.

17. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

I have the incase sleve, I love it.

Don't get the neoprene one, the zipper will hurt the case, get the nylon one, its zipper is protected.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The new neoprene sleeves have a protected zipper, FYI.

19. PRIMECHUCK macrumors newbie

20. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

wait.. did you just say a fall from waist height can be absorbed by a neoprene sleeve?

this confuses me...

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The challenge was "neoprene sleeves offer little to no protection..."

which just isn't true.

22. Paladin macrumors member

I'm also looking at both of these sleeves for my MacBook. My main laptop bag is a Crumpler Wack-O-Phone, which I previously used with both a 14" iBook and a 15" PowerBook. I want to be able to use the sleeve inside the Crumpler, as the laptop pocket is too big for the MacBook. I saw the Incase Nylon Sleeve at the Apple Store, and it will definitely fit in the Crumpler. However, I can't find the dimensions anywhere to compare to the Brenthaven Edge I. Does anybody know how these cases compare size wise? I would imagine that the Brenthaven is more bulky, given the extra protection.

23. McT macrumors newbie

Did I read all these posts correctly? You all forgot the coolest case of all!

The slimness and stashability of neoprene with the protection of freakin' ballistic woven nylon and very very sexy :cool:

booqbags

Mine is ordered and will be shipping soon.

24. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I didn't end up with either one of the ones I posted about, and I think I'm going to go with the booq vyper too. Either that, or a Radtech Neocase.

Has anyone tried the Neocase? It looks pretty cool!

25. coastertux macrumors regular

I highly recommend Brenthaven Bags. They have awesome protection, are built well (they have a lifetime warantee), and look nice too.