Which MacBook Pro For Me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cashmonee, May 28, 2006.

1. Cashmonee macrumors 6502

Cashmonee

Hi, I am new to Apple. I cannot wait to get my MacBook Pro this coming Tuesday. There is one problem. I do not know whether to get the 2.0 or the 2.16. I will be using it for the usual web-browsing, productivity, etc. type stuff, but also for web developing (dreamweaver), business graphics (fireworks), and the black hole that is World of Warcraft. I am not concerned about the Macromedia/Adobe things not being universal yet. If need-be I'll run them in Windows using boot camp until they are released universal. My main concern is the VRAM. I really like the idea of getting the most possible(256 MB), but I am not sure if it is worth the $500.

I guess what I am asking is, will it be a $500 difference in performance taking into account the activities I will be doing with my MBP? I mean, $500 will buy alot of accessories.

If it helps at all I am currently using a Windows desktop with a 2.6GHz P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro and it is plenty fast enough for me. I would like WoW to run a little better than it does, but I really think it runs more than okay as is.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon the 2.0 will be fine for your needs. :)

3. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I agree. The extra 128mb will help if you are playing very texture intensive games. If you were playing Battle Field 2 and wanted the most out of the game I would recommend the 256 vram version. But with WOW the 128 version should work out just fine.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the 2.0 version. vRAM is important, but it's the other goodies in the video card that make things look good. :)

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

go to www.amazon.com and search for a MBP you'll find a 2.0Ghz w/ 256VRAM for approx. $2,250.00 (after rebates), or you could go refurbished for about $2,150.00 but, its refurbished. the only thing about buying from amazon.com or the refurbished site is that your machine wont be BTO, it's just the stock parts that come w/ it. If all your going to do is upgrade RAM than go for the amazon.com or refurbished. RAM is an easy upgrade that you can do yourself and you dont have to pay the high prices of Apple RAM.
    now it's only a $250 or $150 difference.:)

6. Cashmonee thread starter macrumors 6502

Cashmonee

Except that I am a student. Sorry for got to mention that.