Which MacPro is the right one for me.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Inlakech, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Inlakech macrumors newbie

Hello,

a couple of weeks ago I wrote a Thread where I wasn't sure to save for iMac 24" or mac pro.
    Now I've come to the decision that the Mac Pro fits my needs of expandability in the future.

MacPro + 23" Cinema Display are on my list

I'd like to wait for Leopard, 8-core macpros so the old ones drop in price and new cinema displays with built in isight.
    I'm going to use it for working in Maya with Mental Ray, trying out Maxwell Renderer, using Combustion and alot of Photoshop for Photocorrection and High Resolution Matte Painting and Concept art. It is going to be all non commercial work to someday get a nice demoreel going.

1. I've got about 3500 Euro saved till next month. Should I really think about
    saving some few months more for the coming 8-core Mac Pro or is it
    overkill for what I need ?

2. How much do you expect the 2,33 Ghz and 2,66 Ghz 8-Core Macs to cost ?

3. Will there be a free "non rosetta fix" for Photoshop CS2 users ? (I got the educational version)

4. How much Ram should I at least get; is the standard Graphicscard enough for 3d modeling ? Buying a second Harddrive activating raid is a good idea ?

5. I'm planning to buy Vista or XP and install it with bootcamp to be on the safe side / maybe play some old games. Which Windows do you recommend ?

Can't wait to get that Monster of a computer ... I have a g4 Mac mini now, so it is going to be a little revolution in the way I work ;) :apple:
    Thank you very much :)

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Get The 8 Core Mac Pro

If you're gonna use Maya, you better get the 8 core model when it ships. If you can get Dell monitors over there, the 24" 2407Wide is less than $700 plus it rotates.
    It is underkill not overkill. Figure about $4k-$5k USD tricked out.
    Under $4K base plus RAM.
    No. You'll need to buy the CS3 UB version.
    1GB per core minimum. We don't know what the graphics card on it will be yet. Buy your HDs afterward not from Apple.
    XP Pro to avoid compatability problems. Ask the publishers of the software you will need Windows for which OS to buy.
    Anything less than the 8 core @ 2.66GHz will be less than best for you.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Have you checked to see if those applications use 8 cores ?

Photoshop for example only uses 2.

I suspect with 3D stuff, the Quadro GFX card in a 4 core mac would be more than suitable for your rendering output.

For €3500, you 'may' be able to get the cheapest 8 core mac, but that will now doubt have a crap graphics card (7300gt) and 1gb memory.

You will still need to buy loads of memory, and a decent graphics card, and maybe a Display as well.

Oh the dell mentioned by the other poster is actually €800 in Europe (not $700) so if you got that it would leave you around €2800 to play with.

I'd go for a 4 Core mac, add at least 2-3gb extra memory (on top of the 1gb it comes with. Dont buy it from Apple because the memory prices are a joke) and upgrade the graphics card to at least the X1900XT and enjoy your computer now.

4. Inlakech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for the fast replies guys,

I think it will be impossible fo me to buy 8 gigabytes of ram at the beginning (for 8 cores).
    As I will use it only for non commercial "demo-reel" work the first time I'm not sure where I should set the financial limit.

If theres the possibillity hat Intel even puts the future 16-core processors on the same 1333 Mhz and socket compatible with the mac pro, its better to take the quad when leopard is out and upgrade later ...

What do you think ?

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

The 8 Core Mac Pro Will Use A Different Motherboard

Not likely. Stoakley-Seaburg on the Dual Clovertown isn't on the 4 core yet. 8GB will not be required. You will probably be able to get by with 4. I don't want to get into a pissing match with a MacRumor's Demi-God. I don't understand how one gets to be a Demi-God so fast when I've been here a lot longer. Anyway I am much more bullish on the 8 Core Dual Clovertown for any sort of multi-threaded workflow - particularly anyone who needs to render 3D graphics and/or crush video. Long term you'll be glad you got it when you could instead of waiting to spend a lot more money later to "upgrade" a 4. :)

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Demi-Gods are financial contributors (although there are some contributors out there who elect to keep their "6502" etc. monikers too.)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:confused: Why the hostility ? I asked a simple valid question because I didn't know the answer.

I said :-

Seems to be common sense for the poster to check if the applications he is running will use the full 8 cores does it not ?

Fair enough, but an 8 core mac pro is still not going to offer him great rendering power without having the memory and GPU to bolster it.

I said :-

Notice the context. 'Suspect' is a learned guess / assumption / hypothesis. If I'm wrong then fair enough please correct any missinformation, but you don't need to get so hostile.

Obviously arrogance isn't a prerequisite or you would walk away with the title.

I suggest that someone who has been here since 2001 might find the time to read through the basic mac-rumors FAQ on this forum.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Financial Contributors? I Did Not Know That There Were Any

Thanks. I didn't know such an option was available. Is there a link to where we can send money?

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

How to become a Demi

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Follow the link I already posted ;)