Which monitor for my new G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemonkey, May 18, 2005.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

My company's buying a new G5, and my boss asked me this morning what kind of monitor I would like. I told her Apple's flat panel monitors are great, but very expensive. She didn't seem too bothered by the cost of the 20" at $799. My question is, should I go with that one, or is there a better monitor to be had out there for the price? I'm partial to Apple products, but open to any suggestion. I am a graphic designer, so color accuracy is a must. I don't care how it plays video or how it performs for gamers, graphics and color accuracy are pretty much my only concerns.

Thanks!!

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

If she's happy to shell out for an Apple monitor do it. The other alternatives are the the 2 Dells - the 20" and the 24". Not sure how well the colour reproduction is on these. Do a search and there are plenty of threads on the pluses and minuses of each brand. They do seem, however, to boil down to the Dells are as good as the Apple displays but for less money. But if you're not paying go for the Apple. Any chance she would spring for a 23" or better still a 30"? You never know :D

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I say Apple, but you'll get plenty of people who love their Dell's here. I've had a 20" ACD for two years with no problems and great accuracy when properly profiled. Heck it's even good right out of the box as far as color accuracy goes.

4. drison macrumors regular

drison

I agree. I have a 20" dell and it's great if you are on a budget, but if money wasn't an obstacle I would have gone for the Apple.
    -Dave

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I with you, prefer to purchase an Apple product. Purchase the largest size that the boss's budget will allow.

6. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

If she gives you a 1000 budget, go with the dell 2405FPW. Best bang for your buck I think.

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You're most likely going to calibrate with an eyeOne or spider type device anyway, so the 24" Dell or 23" HP L2335 is probably the way to go.