Which Monitor is the Best?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacAztec, Apr 30, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey everyone. I TRIED to play Quake 3 Arena with my brother, my dad, and 2 of my brothers friends last night, and when I opened Quake, my monitor turned black. I had to force quit, and it brought me back into OS X.

I called my brother, and I told him my problem. He asked me what monitor I had, and I told him and Apple 17in MultiScan. He told me that this monitor does not support changing resolutions automatically, and it is out-dated for today's games.

So, heres the question. I have 150 dollars to Best Buy, and I am looking to get a new monitor (obviously). My brother reccomended a ViewSonic (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11079838&m=488&cat=497&scat=499) and it seems to me like it is a nice display. He just got the same exact model, and it is very bright, and clear.

I am looking to spend anywhere from 160-230 dollars. Do you guys know of any better monitors that Best Buy would carry?

2. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok....

I am going to go buy the View Sonic than. It seems like the best buy for the money...

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

C'mon!

Someone please give me some help!

Anyone have a ViewSonic like the one I might get? Or, does anyone know of any other monitors?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have a 17" flat screen crt viewsonic that works fine for me, (but it's connected to a Compaq, so it looks like crap.) Oh, and I haven't shopped for a monitor in a long time, so I really don't know what's good.

6. dualburn001 macrumors regular

I don't have a Viewsonic but I've seen them and they're beautiful monitors, but I'm pretty sure Alphatech has a Viewsonic LCD so ask him.

7. Wildcat macrumors regular

Viewsonics have a rep as being a good display. but other than that i dont know much sorry. I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u that used to be my dads and I love it. But its 19" and I think that would cost more than $150. So mitsubishi get my seal of approval

8. awulf macrumors 6502

ViewSonic

ViewSonic is a good display. I bought myself a ViewSonic E70 (17") when my AppleVision 1710 broke. ViewSonic make great monitors and thats probably what you should buy.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

We have many, many ViewSonic screens here at work. I have an E790B that has been going strong for over 2 years, and is about to change ownership (I don't need too screens on one computer). I also have the VG175 LCD screen, which is very, very sweet. Clean, crisp display, with enough brightness to blind you if you are not careful.

ViewSonic also has excellent support, so if anything does happen, they repair, or replace it within the warranty period.

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

me personally I like samsung ccause they look so cool. How I wish I had one but the apple ones are better

11. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I know what to buy, believe me,

If you dont have the money to buy an LCD, which i say is the only thing to own because of EMG and flicker from CRT's. Then get a Sony for great color and strong refresh rates!
    If you cant afford a Sony then get a Viewsonic.
    They are the best for price and performance ration.

There is no doubt or confusion here, I take my monitors very seriously!

12. spinner macrumors regular

Get the ViewSonic they are great monitors. I have a PS790 that I got a couple of years ago. I had both Apple and Sony monitors before that and I like this one the best.

The only ones that I would stay away from would be the NEC monitors. We have had a LOT of trouble with them at work. We had 5 out of 10 that had problems right out of the box. Not the cheap ones either, these were middle of the road 19" monitors.

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I agree whole-heartedly with Grokgod.

Buy an LCD. After using an LCD, even the highest quality CRTs look fuzzy.

If you can't afford an LCD, buy a Sony. They make the best CRTs.

If you can't afford a Sony, buy a sony-inside-but-not-outside. ADI do this with some models.

I have two friends with such ADI monitors, they are both very nice (the monitors, not the friends. Well, the friends are nice, but that's nt the point here!) :D

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I avoid trinitron tubes in crt screens. I ALWAYS find the grill lines (1/4 of the way from the top and bottom edges) which really show up on light colored backgrounds (suck as a blank page in Illustrator, Quark, PhotoShop, etc.). Because of that, whenever I do get a crt, I go for the shadow mask screens. Yes, they are not the perfectly flat ones, but that is of secondary importance to me. Never mind that most of the shadow mask crt's are cheaper then the trinitron ones.

LCD's don't have that issue at all, so I don't have to worry about that on the new TiBook that I got today. :D Or on the VG175 ViewSonic screen I am keeping. I do know that ViewSonic uses top of the line glass in their LCD's, and it really shows. For the money, you cannot beat the screen you get from ViewSonic (on either CRT's or LCD's). I did evaluate some NEC monitors a while back (LCD's) and they were not even close to ViewSonic's level. Things may have changed since then, but I have yet to get anything from NEC to evaluate (that could change before the end of the summer :D ).

The new TiBooks are SWEEET!!!! I just had to mention that :D

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Oh I'm so jealous of you with your new Ti Alpha! :)

I guess the lines across trinitrons annoy some people more than others. They never bother me, but I have a few friends who just can't stand them.

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

hmmm I've found quite the opposite. I went to see a Lacie photon, the apple LCDs, and another one of some other brand I forget. the apple LCDs, other than the iMac's, were not very sharp, especially the apple cinema, compared to the LaCie electron blue III 22" (which I ended up getting :D :D)

also the cinema display seems to really oversaturate things....great for games but not great for graphic work...