Which monitor should I get for my 15" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by godbout, Aug 21, 2005.

1. godbout macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    I know that there are threads around about which monitors are the best, however, I can't drop $1000CDN+ on a monitor, at least anytime soon, so ACDs are out and so are the 20"-24" Dells that I hear so many good things about. What I was wondering is what is the best DEAL on a monitor. I would like 19" but 17" would be alright too (I will probably span over the two most the time) and I would also like DVI but again I am not that picky. I am in Canada so I was thinking TigerDirect.ca... they seem to have a couple good deals... but I would Love and appreciate any recommendations!! Thanks :)

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I would boycott TigerDirect as they're suing Apple over the name Tiger. If you're looking for a widescreen display, its very hard to get a widescreen display thats inexpensive. So I guess a normal display would be best for your price range. Dell displays are usually good, if you like to display (no pun intended) a Dell emblem.

3. godbout thread starter macrumors regular

Man, now that you mention it I remember hearing about that lawsuit... Screw them :D But, let me get this straight you are saying to get a Dell Display(gasp! ;)) I know that there big monitors are awesome but I was unsure about there regular ones... they seem to have pretty average specs even for the price range. Oh, another question is there a huge difference in there UltraSharp 17 or 19 compare to the regular ones?

4. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I have a 15" PB and the monitor i have chosen is Dell's 2405FPW...you said you can't drop over 1k but thats ok, dells monitors go on sale alot! down to under $800 sometimes...also on Ebay you can find them for an average price of about $700...its a 24" LCD and its a beautiful display....thats my sugestion

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

If I'm not mistaken, the 20" Dell monitor is not that costly.
    I have seen previous posters here getting it for ~$400 US (coupons, etc.).
    Also, there's a refurbished monitor listing at the Dell website. There they have the 20" for $428.
    Given the great reviews many MR readers have given the Dell monitors (same display as Apple 20"), it's probably worth looking into a little closer.

Good luck!

6. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to find an older Apple Cinema Display (Not aluminum) to go with my 15" PB, but I can't seem to find one in excellent condition.

7. godbout thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, Thanks man I will check that out... from what I have been hearing it looks that you are right and the 20" dell (even 19" ultrasharp) are great buys compared to most of the other LCDs available.

8. 1nsanity macrumors regular

Unfortunatly we in Canada are not blessed with Dell super savings. The best deal I saw on the dell 24" was 20% off that was 1119$ CNd + tax
    And the best deal 760 CND$ on te 20".

If you want a widescreen you could look at www.ncix.com they have a refurb Acer widescreen 20" for 588$ CND and this week staples (bureau en gros for quebec people) has the viewsonic 20.1 inch at 699$ I believe.

I want the dell 24" but its a pain in the a** having to wait for a good deal......

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would go dell...I did go dell. I am not an apply fanwh0re who needs to spend more money on the ACD. In comparison I could not tell the difference between the two, except maybe that the ACD has a neat silver shell. Even still, the whole black bezel doesn't bother me because at the end of the day I know I paid $375 while others paid $800 for their 20" ACD.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have a dell 20.1" ultrasharp. i paid $460 US with a coupon. i'm pleased with it

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dont bother with 19" displays unless they have a higher resolution than 1280x1024 as most do, <20" dell monitors are not that great value and tend to be crappy vga displays so it's stick to other brands if you cant afford a 20"

12. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

The Dell 20" Widescreen uses the *exact* same LG/Philips panel as the Apple Cinema Display, at about *half* the cost. They've been selling at $385 for months now. All you need is an easily acquired coupon.

So, if it's a choice between the Apple display or the Dell + 60GB iPod Color: "I'm getting a Dell dude..."

14. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Is the quality between VGA and DVI such a big difference? I have have been using VGA all my life and I am satified. But I just don't like my 19 inch monitor cause of the huge dot pitch. I would go with a monitor that has the same dot pitch ass yours a you should be happy.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

hence the less than symbol < indicating all dells displays that are smaller than 20" are not that great.