Which Monitor/TV to get for console games (480p)?

Discussion in 'Games' started by cartoonfox, Nov 29, 2005.

1. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hi, I've moved into a shared house in London for Uni, and my current TV is a normal 21", and It's huge (especially the back) for my room. It just about fits on my desk but then I have no where to draw (I'm an illustration student).
    So, I'm thinking of buying a new monitor/TV that is around 20" but flat so it fits on my desk easily.
    I want it primarily for games. I have a Gamecube and will be getting a Revolution. Both of which support up to 480p. So I'm looking for a monitor/TV that supports this. I don't need anything higher.
    I was thinking of buying the Apple 20" Cinema Display, though I have no idea if I will be able to play my Gamecube, and later on, my Revolution on it. And if it supports 480p.
    If i does I may get it, as they look very nice, although £550 is a little steap i guess.

Are there any other options available?
    I have a 20" iMac G5, but the only way to play my Gamecube on it is with EyeTV EZ, which I've heard has slight lag, which is not good for games! : ]

I'm sure there are a lot of ou guys out there playing current generation consoles on monitors, so any recomendations are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Cai (cartoonfox).

2. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I think that there is a samsung LCD TV monitor that supports 480P. I think it is around $400. I have seen them at Best Buy and they look great.

I can't think of the name of the model. It looks like an upside down house though. I know, bad description. :p

3. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

an upside down house... hmmm : ]

i live in the UK, but i will search around for it, thanks

4. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Here is a picture of a larger size of the same model type.

[​IMG]

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ah a brit!

have a look here http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/20__TFT_Displays.html you can get a Dell 2005FPW (20" widescreen LCD) which has the right inputs for you. its £327 and if you order it before the 1st of December you get a free extended warranty. where I just ordered mine from :)

course that supports 720 and *almost* 1080. I don't know much about HDTV's (as i keep saying :D ) its only 30 pixels vertically off. my guess is that maybe you could run 1080 and just miss off that wee 30 pixels... i know my PC monitor can run higher than its native res, it just misses off the edges.

6. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

hey thanks you guys.

although i wont be needing more than 480p, and theres no way i can afford this till after the new year : ]

oh btw, i keep seeing "response time: 16ms" does this mean 16 milliseconds?
    would that be noticable when playing games? sorry im quite dumb : ]

thanks

7. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

don't get anything above 25 ms. or else you could get a ghosting effect. I would actually make that 16 for safety.

8. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

ok thanks, i'll make sure to look out for that

9. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

You are speaking my language

Check out my one man thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111609

As a matter of fact if you click on my user name and select "Find all posts by DISCOMUNICATION" you will find just about the only topics I respond to are about LCD tvs, playing game consoles on computer monitors, and hooking game consoles up to an iMac G5 or iBook.

If you have an iMac G5 a Samsung 940mw would look good next to it. It's has the same screen resolution as the 17" iMac, but it's 19" so it might be closer in size to a 20". The speakers line the bottom of the display so it kind of looks like a silver iMac G5. It has composite, S-Video, component, and Scart video inputs. Has VGA and an HDCP DVI port so it's truely HD compatable (hook up 2 to a PS3 with HDMI to DVI cables). Supports NTSC, PAL, and SECAM video standards. 8ms response time. Has a built in radio tuner. And it can be had for under $600 American some places even sell it at $549. Check out my thread for more info, specs, and links.

Attached Files:

10. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

other ideas

There is of course the dell and HP 1920x1200 widescreen monitors with component inputs, but these don't have tv tuners or built in speakers so you would need to hook up your VCR or HD tuner to watch tv. You would also need seperate speakers to hear anything. That's more clutter and cost. And since you own an iMac G5 and want a cheap solution I'm guessing you want a simple clutter free set up. I still think the 940mw is your best option. (I would buy one if I owned an iMac G5. I personally am eyeing the 930mp myself.) but here are some other solutions...

This is cheaper, but inherets the same VCR/tuner & speakers clutter as mentioned above. You could combine GameCube Component Cable +
    Sanyo DVI to Component Cable + DVI to VGA cable to connect your GameCube to any computer monitor or tv with vga input. The same can be said for the PS2 and original Xbox as well (360 already has VGA cable). A lot of cheap 480p LCD TVs that don't have Component input still do have a vga input. With that solution you wouldn't even have to deal with tuner/speaker clutter. But you could also choose any LCD monitor you want with a VGA input. So you could choose the size, brightness rating, contast ratio, and response time you want without limiting yourself.
    This will not work with the Apple ADC as it's DVI-D connector it missing the 4 analog pins that the DVI-I adapter is using. Almost every LCD on the market uses seperate VGA and DVI-D connectors instead of the combined analog and digital on the same connector standard of DVI-I.
    The only what to get component video into an ADC diplay is the expensive way.
    So the signal goes from component to SDI to DVI-D. Thats three signals going through 2 converters. What a pain. And you still need to buy RCA-to-BNC adapters for the component cable.
    Sorry for confusing you. Just go with the 940mw.:)

11. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

hey thanks DISCOMUNICATION, thats a lot of info for me.
    i appreciate it.

im not going to get anything untill after the new year, maybe late january early feb. so at least there's no rush : ]

im gonna hae a look at those links and see some other stuff. maybe go to a store and see some first hand to see what they're like (i've never had a special TV/monitor before! im so used to my crapy normal one ^_^)

thanks again dude

peace

12. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

HDCP and the future

Hey, cartoonfox. It's good that you are waiting till new years. I have a feeling we are going to see more and more PC monitors with HDCP DVI ports like this one. The Gateway actually has the same screen resolution as your 20" iMac so you can use the spanning hack and your iMac's VGA output to gain a perfectly matched dual monitor desktop setup. And it only costs $599! Although I would wait and see what Dell has up it's sleave with the '06 model monitors.
    You'll still have the tuner/VCR extra part though. You still want to make sure whatever you buy has a set of component inputs for your GameCube/Revolution. HDCP DVI port will be for the PS3. That is... if you wanted one.
    I still think the 940mw is a better value as a space saving tv though. It would be better matched with a 17" iMac because of the screen resolution though.

13. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

hey DISCOMUNICATION, i went away to chile to meet my dad's side of the family for christmas, had a great time, saw llamas, got a tan etc etc... ^_^

anyway, im back now and sort of ready to buy my new monitor. i have money, but i don't want to throw it away, so im taking my time, to make sure i make the right decision.

im have found 2 monitors for a nice price, both will work with my gamecube, which is my main priority.

first: Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" widescreen
    (i think it was recomended to me on this thread)
    £381 has a lot of inputs.

second: LG L193ST 19" LCD TV Monitor
    £340 is slightly smaller, but is cheaper and has a digital tv tuner built in, and 12ms response over dell's 16ms (not that it matters that much i dont think)

so there are the two im looking at. if you could help me pick the better one i'd appreciate it.
    or if you find any others, from UK shops that have similar size and price, please let me know

thanks

peace

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You make it sound like you guys are a rarity around here. :rolleyes:

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!

Original poster wants to play Pal GC with progressive?? No pal games support progressive, and you'll have to import a digital component cable from LIKSANG or Play Asia..

It's going to be a tough desision if you don't want to be buying all your games again, the Dell has S-Video input as well, however pal cube doesn't support S-Video...

Problem is LCD TV with Scart/S-video/Component & PC inputs would be ideal, shame none of them come with a resolution above 1376x768.... (most 1280x768)

Apple Cinema Display's are lovely, but limited to DVI

It's a tough desision either way... The LG looks intereting...

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Im running my cube on my 2005FPW at the moment and it's not that bad. but yea my plan is just grin and bare it (in a more gentler way) until the Rev with its monitor output.

16ms response time... maybe I'm just very picky but I've noticed a slight ghosting. mainly in First Person games when walking forward slowly. textures loose their brilliantness in games like Halo and Metriod Prime. I don't notice it at all in F-Zero (mind is too busy trying to do well!) but sometimes in Smash Bros I'll notice a little ghosting.

certainly better than my old tube TV though. whilst normal colours would not ghost, extreme contrast scenes would. a black screen with a bright white part would have horizontal lines following the bright spot. it was old though.

17. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

CartoonFox

I can reccomend the dell. I am have my xbox hooled up and while the 16ms response isn't great it is the best for the money. It also doubles up as an additional screen for my imac G3 and main monitor for my 12in Powerbook and a USB hub.

Try http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/20__TFT_Displays.html cheaper than dell direct but with 3yr dell warranty.

John

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Both are good but in my opinion the LG has much better color for gaming.
    and its seems sharper than the dell.
    I know that when my b-day comes around in march I am getting the LG LCD TV for my xbox. My

19. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Both are good but in my opinion the LG has much better color for gaming.
    and its seems sharper than the dell.
    I know that when my b-day comes around in march I am getting the LG LCD TV for my xbox. My Sony Wega crapped out on me just before xmas and I have been with out my RPG games since then, the callus on my thumb is disappearing...:D

20. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

Why are you trying to torture you countryman with a bloddy sh***y piece of s***-arse hardware made by the uber worst in computing companies on the planet, as in Dull Computers?!?! Be nice to this guy, he's an artist, clearly likes aesthetics, Dull turd pieces are as aesthetic as a bag of flaming donkey crap dropped from a ten story building onto a pile of rotting corpses.

There's a LOT of good choices at reasonable prices mate, but don't go Dull unless you're without clue or taste.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You deserve the harshest response of the day :)

I agree the Dell isnt the best, but £350 for a very good 20" LCD Monitor/TV is outstanding. especially considering when there are £500 20" LCD TV's by Samsung, Phillips etc...

One thing against the Dell, though its probably fixable... Contrast is very high indeed. at least with my VGA cable. *ooh... um... found the brightness/contrast button *

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

this is nice. i guess this is of choice i see all the gamestop using this tv.

Bless

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Arr you stole my catchphrase :D

They are also used on the 360 demo booths aren't they?

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yup! not a bad screen too.

How many 360 demo booths are there? I mean work out how much MS spent on these booths in total, 360 costs, 2 controllers, them screens, few quid for the big encasing... must be a lot!

25. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

hey, yeah i saw that samsung one in dixons today, looks nice, not sure about the triangle bit at the bottom though,
    anyone know how much they are?

i dont like the dell one anymore, its cheap but it just wouldnt look right sitting next to my 20"iMac G5 : ]

peace