Which mouse? MX1000 or MX510?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ravenvii, Feb 1, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

So, I'm going to get a new keyboard and a new mouse when I get my mini (can't wait!).

I'm comparing those two based on the feel of the mice. If I decide on the MX 500/510/700/900 form factor, I would get the Apple wired keyboard and the MX510 and plug it into the Apple keyboard (I prefer wired anyway). But if the MX1000 is actually better than the others in form and feel, I'll get the Apple wireless keyboard and the MX1000. (I know the MX1000 operates on RF, and thus needs a USB dongle, but that doesn't concern me).

So which one is better? I've never seen either two in real life, and pictures are hard to judge. So I'm entrusting you guys to tell me your experiences with those mice. Thanks!

2. archer75 macrumors 6502a

I have the MX510 and love it. While the MX1000 is a laser mouse and is wireless it may technically be the better mouse. But not enough so to justify the cost over the MX510.

3. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Be very careful judging mice by picture alone. When the Kensington Studio Mouse (http://www.kensington.com/html/4768.html) came out a while back, I thought it was beautiful, and the scroll pad seemed intriguing. I got one relatively cheap off of eBay, and it turned out to be horrible. It was much smaller and lighter than I thought, not to mention it was all plasticy! And the scroll pad was terrible, had to push really hard for it to work. The mouse itself also made a lot of high pitched noise too. I finally got fed up and hoped that I had just gotten a bad mouse, so I called Kensington and they sent me a brand new one. Which was great, but it had the SAME PROBLEMS.

So, yeah, be careful :rolleyes:

4. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've got the MX1000 and really like it. First, the mouse just feels good. It's got buttons!!!!!! Yippeeee! I was using the Apple "hockey puck" and hated it. Originally I was looking for a BT mouse but couldn't find one I liked. Well the RadTech BT 500 was pretty nice but it was really for a laptop and I've got a G5 w/ BT. The other BT's I just didn't like. Anyway, the MX 1000 has a scroll wheel, left and right buttons, a fwd and reverse scroll switch that surrounds the scroll wheel and also has a button on the side that lets you "scroll" through open apps and choose which one you want. Additionally it has it's own rechargeable lithium ion battery with 3 leds on the side to show charge status. The base station/charging unit plugs into any usb port. I've got it plugged into my Dell 19" LCD (don't laugh, it's a very nice monitor).
    I'd recommend the MX1000. BTW, it worked right out of the box. Just got my wife a 14" iBook and wanted a laptop mouse. The iBook was not ordered w/BT so I needed a cordless rf. Read a review on the BenQ M310. Bought it. WOW! I am impressed with the design and build. The RF "dongle" actually fits inside the mouse and turns the unit on/off. You punch a button on the top of the mouse and it pops out of a slot and when you're done just slide it back in. Scroll wheel and lft/rt buttons. Really a nice unit. I would very much recommend this mouse to anyone with a laptop. Cheers

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm not really looking for whether it works on the Mac or how buttons it has or how it works, I already know all that.

I'm asking about how it PHYSICALLY feels. Which one feels nicer and more solid, the MX510 or the MX1000? I need to hear from posters who actually used BOTH mice.

6. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Well, can't say bout the MX510 but the MX 1000 feels pretty darn niiiiiiiice. Cheers

7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I used to have the 510 on my PC and I upgraded it to the 1000 last Nov. The 1000 is the best mouse I have ever used. The feel of it is great and the extra buttons are in very good position. The response rate is just as good as the 510 even though it is wireless. I have no lag at all. If you are left handed though, forget it. It is only for right handed people.

The only problem I have is that I want to get the new Logitech nVio keyboard (not sure of the correct spelling) but I don't want to have two recievers on my desk and also don't need the extra mouse. Anyway, if you don't mind paying almost double the price, go with the 1000.

8. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well you not going to get any lag from the XM1000. I would say go out to compUSA if you can and look at both of the mice in person and see how the feel in your hand.

That being said I own an MX1000 and it feels great and I like how it feels over the m510-900. it has a little higher arch in it and I like how the button are set up better. I just remapped the app switch button to double click and I been loving it. it goes over a week bettween charging and i tend to forget to charge it quite a bit normally when my computer reminds me about it I just make sure I do it htat night when I go to bed.

9. AWishForNoOne macrumors member

I have average size hands and the MX1000 fits very comfortably. I've been using it for a month now and I feel that both smaller and larger hands would work comfortably as well.