Which MUD client?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaiKirai, Feb 18, 2005.

1. DaiKirai macrumors member

Looking on MacUpdate, there's not many current MUD clients available for Mac OS X. The most recently updated was XMud in October, which is in an alpha state and promises to become shareware in the future; I don't really like it. Second is hydraMUD from August, which is also in an alpha state with reported stability issues, but the author is too swamped by real-life issues to fix them. From then on it's back to '03 with Cantrip and beyond.

Am I better off with a regular Telnet client, or good old TinyFugue? I should clarify that I'm more of a MUCKer, so don't need fancy aliases & triggers. A basic GUI, scrollback, separate input bar, and input history would be nice... that's all I really want.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When I play MUDs (rarely, but I do like to dabble in them from time to time) I use the Terminal.

3. relimw macrumors 6502a

All I ever used was tf through the terminal, although it seems like someone a year or so made a cocoa frontend to tf. Google for it :)

4. johnnowak macrumors 6502

The best one I've seen isn't on macupdate. It's called MudWalker. It's fast, colors work perfectly, and offers a fair amount of features (although not enough for the hardcore pvp'er). It's goal is to recreate Rapscallion for OS X. It took me a long time to stumble across it... hope you like it as much as I do. ;-)

http://mudwalker.cubik.org/

I want to play ArmageddonMud, but its just too intimidating. Achaea is great, but it costs too much to have a good character. I really could go for a good post-apoc mud, but no such thing exists it seems. Here's to hoping that Interplay releases a MMORPG Fallout one of these days...

I think I may go graphical and buy WoW. Hm.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow