Which Nikon DSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ribbonthecat, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I used to play around with my Nikon FE a lot, and I'd like to start getting into digital photography. Because I have Nikon lenses already, I'd like to stay with them. But which camera ought I get? From what I can find, I get get either a D40, D50, or barely used D70 within my budget (ca. $600).

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Since you already have Nikon lenses, the choice is easy. D50, all the way. Old Nikon lenses aren't compatible with the D40, unless you want to focus everything manually. Just got the D50 yesterday after a few weeks of research, and I'm not looking back :)

3. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

well if he had an FE then his lenses should be MF anyway

4. ribbonthecat thread starter macrumors regular

Right, exactly. But I thought those lenses, with F-stops controlled by a ring, were still incompatable with the new DSLRs.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

True, but the price for the same quality of lens is much cheaper on with the D50 than the D40 as well...if you're looking to upgrade to better lenses.

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you're going to use new glass, then go with the D40 or D50. If you're looking at getting used glass, then the D50 or D70s. Personally, I'd go with the D70s for my shooting (mostly fine art nature) because the body size works well with longer glass for me and the next steps up also use compact flash cards. If you prefer street photography, a smaller body may be more of an advantage than a larger one. None of these choices are going to meter with the older pre-AF-D glass though- that may or may not be an issue for you.

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Go with the D70 - You'll appreciate it's more versatile features... It's the entry level "high end" model.

8. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

agreed. although the D50 has better JPEG, if you're shooting RAW, the D70 will be great and give you lots of flexibility.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Nope, you just set it manually on the ring. The D200 and the professional D1/D2 series cameras also let you use the aperture ring over command dial interface.

It's only if the lenses are non-AI that it would be a problem. Anything AI, AI-S, or Series E (AI-S) will work.