Which non-Apple display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hdyhd, Feb 9, 2004.

1. hdyhd macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice I received regarding iMac vs G5.

What non-Apple displays do you guys recommend? Say about 20". Can you get a good one for about the same price as the Apple 17" studio display?

Thanks!!

2. Steradian macrumors 6502

You might want to take a look at Formac 's offerings, they have an excellant 20 ' display that you might like priced similarly to apples own hardware. Maybe you might like viewsonic they have good some good stuff. Happy hunting Let us know what you decide to buy!

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Personally, Apple's 20'' display is my first choice.

4. Crikey macrumors 6502

Deja vu -- I think we had this thread about three days ago.

Apple's displays are nicer, but I couldn't argue with the price of my Dell 2000FP a year ago. Dell has just come out with the 2001FP: 20" LCD, 1600x1200; DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite inputs; 4-port USB hub built-in; adjustable-height base also swivels. Most remarkable of all, it's on sale right now for $750 plus shipping at the Dell Small Business site.

Happy hunting.

Crikey

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

omg! I'm gonna go check that out... sounds like an *unbelievable* deal!

edit: ok, that deal expired yesterday. ah well. :-(

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If you want the best display for your dollars and you want something to match your new Apple get one from Apple or Formac.

Also if color accuracy and detail are critical to you get one from Lacie they make some very very good displays for people in industries where color accuracy and detail count.

Something I plan on doing is to not get one display but two displays. For one every PowerMac for over a year now has come with two video connectors that can be driven simultaneously off the same card. Secondly you can get two 17" 1280x1024 LCDs for around $1,000 giving you a total resolution of 2560x1024. It's hard to argue with the the price given the amount of screen area you are getting. For me personally since I like to do video and games and I need to change my screen resolution a lot which ends up in terrible screen quality on an LCD when you use a non-native resolution I plan on having one LCD and one CRT. The CRT I can use for gaming and the LCD I can use for text and web surfing.

7. Crikey macrumors 6502

QCassidy352: Sorry. man! Right before I posted, I went to verify the price, and it was $749.99. But I guess right after I posted, it became midnight Texas time and the price changed.

Whenever Dell has a crazy LCD blowout like that, lots of people buy them and resell them on eBay, knowing there are plenty of eBayers too thick to check Dell's price before bidding. So right now you could probably pick one of those up for close to $750. ("2001FP" gets 56 hits on eBay right now.) Personally, I wouldn't, because as far as Dell is concerned you are buying it used even if the tape's never been broken on the box.

Check back at Dell's site every once in a while. They like to have crazy blow-out sales like that, and I see them more often on the small-business site than on the consumer or big-biz sides.

Cheers,

Crikey