Which Notebook is right for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mach D, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Mach D macrumors newbie

I plan to buy a notebook for school and I will be using Office a lot (I use Word, Excel and PowerPoint a lot for work as well). In addition to that, I can spend hours in Photoshop and Illustrator just designing things for my own pleasure, so those are obvious things I will buy.

I use the internet but any of the notebooks seem to have no problems with that. I rarely, if ever play video games and I'd much rather spend my time writing, photography (digital or film) and listening to Music (40GB 4G iPod). I'm also somewhat of a stickler for speed but as long as I can run iTunes, Internet, Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time without massive slowdown, I'm ok.

What do you guys recommend? I've read a lot here and not having extensive use with Macs, I really can't decide.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Seems like you'd actually be just fine with a 12" PB and an external monitor, although you might want to move up to the 15" so you'd need the monitor less.

Any rough idea of a budget?

3. enclave macrumors member

Even a decent 1ghz Ibook with around 768meg of ram will do perfectly, my friend does all the things you do and has an 800mhz ibook and it runs great.

I do video editing so I got a powerbook but it may be overkill for what you want to do, just don't buy the ram from apple!

4. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

Where would you buy the RAM then?

That helps. Maybe I can get a 12" Powerbook used....

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Crucial, Kingston, or just do what I do and buy 3rd party generic RAM from 18004memory.com

6. hitchhiker macrumors newbie

My inspiron really wasn't that bad. Then again, it's not a mac. :p

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I'd say the 15''PB. If you want a PC, go for a Sony or HP.

8. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

I used my friends 17" Powerbook and don't think I'd ever pay money for a PC again. I just happen to have this one that I bought maybe 2 years ago. Still a good machine, i'll keep it til it dies. But... my next computer purchase will be a Mac.

How big is the 15"? I really enjoy portability...

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

The 15" is really portible. Its light and it worth getting it over the 12 because of the extra screen size and other stuff.

10. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

Go on, what other stuff? I always figured if I really wanted a bigger screen I could plug one in.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

backlit keyboard, 1.5ghz processor, 128mb vram option (those are only available if you get the higher-end 15") gigabit ethernet, firewire 800 in addition to 400, it's thinner (but wider of course) ports on both sides instead of just left...there's probably a bunch im forgetting

12. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

it's thinner than the 12"? for reals?

13. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

14. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

id say either go for the high end ibook or the low end pb...or the middle pb...both good for what you want, the pb would go great with photoshop and illustrator and itunes at the same time, the ibook would run some of the things, but with maybe a slight slow down once your mac gets a little more "older"...pb i would go, either the low end 12" or the middle 15" dont get 17" too bulgy

16. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

For what you intend to do, iBook sounds just fine with extra RAM. No need to spend too much money at this time. I replace once a year and I settled with the 12" PB knowing that I will upgrade with Rev. B G5 PB (if it ever comes out...)

Someone recommended HP.....do not get HP. I despise pre-built computers....if anything get Sony (I have a sony V505EX as well and I like the Sony notebooks best for PC platform). HP/Compaq is terribly integrated and utilize cheap parts. Same goes for Dell, but they at least allow customization at their site.

I like the feel of PB much better though...it doesn't feel as cheap as an iBook.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

yea, its more expensive :p But I think its worth it. Also the backligt keyboard. its nice, but its really hard to see unless its really really dark. its also about a pound heavyer but i think its worth it because of all the extras.
    I got the 15" because its going to be my main computer for school. If i had the room in my dorm, i would have gotten a basic 12" powerbook, and a mid-range G5. but since i don't i decided to go with the 15"
    I would suggest going to see them an the apple store. When i looking at buying powerbook I saw the 12 and felt it was small and could take it everywhere but the screen is so small. If you look and compare the 12 to the 15" you would think the 15 was to big. YOu have to look at it sepreately.