Which notebook??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adiliegro, Sep 25, 2004.

1. adiliegro macrumors newbie

Hi Guys...I am a new switcher from Windows machines to Mac. I have an iMac G5. I have suckered...uh, talked a friend of mine into buying my laptop from me and will use that money to go out and get a Mac notebook. Just not sure which one yet. That is why I am asking now...Let me tell you what I want to use it for and you can advise me -

I am a photogapher (wedding, portrait) and use my PC to transfer files from my CF cards and store them on the laptop while on location at the weddings. While on the laptop, I will burn them to a DVD at the wedding so I have three copies of the images...my cards, the laptop and DVD (you can never back up enough)...anyway, that is the extent of the use of the laptop other than doing everyday things like surfing the web, word processing, etc. No heavy PS use as that is reserved for the desktop machine.

So, knowing that, do I NEED a powerbook? Can i get buy with an iBook? I was thinking 12 inch with an airport card so I can use it wirelessly. Anyone wanna run some advice by me and help me decide?

TIA!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that an iBook with SuperDrive would suffice easily. Unless there is something I'm not seeing. Also, iBooks generally get better battery life, and that could be useful if it's out in the 'real world' often.

3. adiliegro thread starter macrumors newbie

This is probably a dumb thing to ask, but since you mentioned batery life...they DO come with power cords, right? If Im plugged in at the weddings, it shouldnt matter about the battery, right? Im not being a smart ass, Im just making sure. :)

4. sarae macrumors 6502

i don't know about the whole ibook/powerbook comparison when burning dvds, but as far as i'm aware... there is no 12" ibook with a superdrive. so you'd have to go for the 14" ibook, or 12" powerbook.

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Yes, of course they come with power cords. A regular one, and a one that extends the length. lol...Come on, you haven't heard THAT bad of stuff about Macs.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, unlike some Windows systems, Apple computers generally come with everything you'll need, including power-cords/adaptors, video adaptors, a blank CD/DVD to test out your burner, etc. They used to ship with a 4-6pin FireWire cable for connecting the computer to a digital camera, but they stopped that a while back :(.

7. adiliegro thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL. whew. It wouldnt have mattered anyway...I would have STILL got the Mac even without a power cord. LOL. So the 14 inch comes with a superdrive?

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

No, it does not come STOCK with one, it is one of the BTO (built to order) options you must select. I love the iBook, and the 14'' with SD is the best of both words, IMO.

9. Dandaman macrumors 6502

well, you can probably still get the 12 inch ibook and get an external DVD writer along with it. I believe you just won't be able to use iDVD to write the DVD. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm still quite new to macs also.

ps- there are actually some laptops that don't come with a power cord? strange.

daniel

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get the 14" iBook with Superdrive option. Yes, you can get the Superdrive with an iBook. Its been an option on the 14" for months.

I don't think you'll need more than an iBook, as you'll be doing everything on your iMac anyway, I reckon. So you really need this to back up photos, which is easily iBook capable, to say the least. I just went to a small concert where someone was filming and projecting strange graphics on a screen simultaneously using what appeared to be a complicated techie program with 3 separate screens so you can see everything that's either being projected or recorded using a video camera. That was on a 12" iBook, and I can't even say that a new model was being used. Could have been a model slower than a 1GHz G4. Could have been a G3 for all I know.

So yes, I'm sure the iBook is enough, and the 14" is a good screen size even if you're not getting any more resolution than on a 12". Oh, and the battery life is heaps better on an iBook. It's simpler to be on battery power. I don't know why you'd be keen to plug a laptop into a wall.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

You know...Now that I think about it, you should save a lot of money and buy a G3 iBook and then an external DVD-RW. That way you would have a solid machine and then a DVD burner that could work on your iMac and iBook. Voila!

12. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Well buddy......i have a different opinon.................

ok, you got that nice iMac g5, great it's cool.......but if you're thinking about buying a laptop......even tho you still got the desktop....why should you buy a less powerful notebook?.......the best thing in the world is to be able to work with the desktop and the notebook in the same way........

if you want to surf the web, chat, photoshop, manage images, back up at...........isn't it better to be able to do it with both in the same way. you never know when your desktop might blow up......it's a Mac and Macs are reliable but still........IT CAN HAPPEN.

so you'll need a little bit of power to burn the DVD's, you'll need more hard drive space, more portability.......to me the best deal is the 12" powerbook with superdrive. you'll have 60 gb hard drive, plus the way more powerful computer (in case you want to work on the photos right there on the notebook.

if you care about the battery life........just get another bat. and that's it :)

to me the best deal is the 12" powebook................IF YOU GOT THE MONEy......if not.........just cover up with what you got. :)

cheers

13. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Some other options, by the time that you have added superdrive and an airport card to an iBook 14" that comes to $1578, for an extra $221 you could have a 12" Powerbook with superdrive. The 14" screen has the same resolution as the 12", so I can't really see the advantage of the 14" screen. However if you just want to backup your images then you could save a pile of cash by getting an iPod (40GB $399) and Belkin's iPod media reader to transfer flash card images to the iPod ($99) you can then transfer the images to the iMac from there to burn (you did get a superdrive - right?).

Other food for thought is to get the 15" Powerbook. This could be a powerful selling tool to do slide shows to clients and prospective clients. You could do this with a 12" screen, but the 15" Powerbook screen is much better for this sort of thing. While I am no professional photographer, I enjoy taking photos with my canon 10D and showing them to family and friends, they always comment on how good they look on the 15" Powerbook.

14. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

one thing to point out... ibooks have a maximum 60gb hard drive while the powerbooks have up to 80gb. dont know if that 20gb is all that important but might be since your main use is storage

15. bubbamac macrumors 6502

James Craner's got it right. For a small amount extra, I'd go with the Powerbook. If you have any - ANY - intent of ever showing your pics to your clients on the laptop screen, it's worth it. The screens on the PB's are much nicer. Plus, you'll have a smaller form factor, and a slightly more powerful computer (slightly).

I've got to add that I think the 15" PB is the best choice - although it's not smaller. An even nicer screen for showing off your work!

And I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the iBooks are tougher than the PowerBooks. The iBooks are aimed at the student crowd, who may be a little tougher on their equipment. That said, my PB has travelled with me 15-18 days/month for the last 2 years...

16. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

ibooks are tougher but like bubbamac said, Powerbooks can hold on pretty well too.

you just need to take care of your equipment man........that's it........take care of it and it will last.

i take my PB to work EVERYDAY...i take it to friends houses, to my girlfriend's house etc.........and it's intact.......no scratches what so ever.....Nuthin'!

the same thing with my ipod.....it's a 3g in GREAT conditions, well maybe a few scratches here and there because of no protection (i bought an incase case) but if you look at it it's in GReAT conditions, and a friend of mine has a 4g, he's only had it for like 1 month and a half and it looks like it's 3 years old. scratches and all!.