Which of my PC components can be used on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gary King, May 29, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    Which of my PC components can be used on a Mac, if I decide to get one? And is the Mac Mini the only Mac that can at least use a few PC components such as the keyboard/mouse and laptop?

My current PC:

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Intel Pentium 4 - 1.8 GHz
    512 MB DDR RAM PC2100
    Maxtor 60 GB 7200 RPM
    Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
    Samsung 15" LCD
    LG 16X DVD IDE
    LG 32X10X40 CD RE-WRITER
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital Audio
    1.44MB Floppy Drive
    PENT-4 Midtower 300W, USB Front

500W PMPO with subwoofer 3 pcs.
    Microsoft PS/2 Keyboard Combo C59-00092
    Logitech Opti Bulk PS2 mouse
  2. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    In the Mini, virtually none of your internal components are usable to upgrade.

The Mini is not internally upgradeable except for the RAM. Since it has but one socket, you want to put in a 1 GB PC2700 or PC3200 module. If your PC uses PC3200, and you have a 1 GB module, it may or may not work.

The hard drive from the PC will not fit the Mini, because the Mini uses a 2.5" laptop hard drive. You could buy a Firewire external case and use a 3.5" PC IDE hard drive in the external case. PowerMac G5's and iMac G5 use 3.5" Serial ATA hard drives, these are interchangeable with PC SATA hard drives. The older G4 PowerMacs and iMacs use IDE (parallel ATA) drives.

If your mouse and keyboard are USB, you can use those with the Mini, which is the only Mac to come without its own.

The video card, sound card and other PCI cards are almost certainly incompatible with Macs (and definitely incompatible with the Mini, as it does not have a PCI or AGP slot.)
  3. macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Well, I know you can network with your pee cee, but I don't know much beyond that.
  4. macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    since the kb/m are ps2 it can't use that, but it can use any of your drives in a firewire or usb case, or inside if you get a powermac. any mac can use the monitor (if it's vga--if not, just the mini, powerbooks and powermac can) come to think of it, if you get a ps2>usb adapter you can use the kb/m with any mac. the dvd/cd drives are pretty useless since any mac you get will at least have a combo drive which performs all the functions of your 2 drives. the RAM is too slow to use (iMac and powermac use pc3200 and mini and emac uses pc2700) but it could be used in an older mac that supports pc2100. if those speakers are 2.1 you can use them with any mac, if they're optical 5.1 you can use them on a new imac, a powermac or a 17" powerbook.
    what do you mean by laptop?
  5. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    And, just in case you were wondering, none of your PC software will work either.

And the mini can't run Windows ;)
  6. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    Old York
    there you go.
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004