Which of these 5 DS games to get?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MS bulldog, Jul 13, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

give me a primary and a back up choice...i'm going to pick up my last ds game for a while. i'll be out of town and the summer gaming budget has been spent here are the 5 games in the running:
    • Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
    • Princess Peach
    • Tetris DS
    • Castlevania...if i can find it.
    • Mario 64 DS

here is what i have already:
    • Advanced Wars: DS...love it
    • Brain Age...love it
    • Big Brain Academy...need to spend more time with it
    • Animal Crossing...just picked it up
    • Metroid...need more time with it...good so far
    • Metroid Pinball...like it
    • NSMB...loving it
    • Feel The Magic...loving it
    • Zoo Keeper...wife is loving it
    • Meteos...haven't gotten into it yet
    • Mario Kard DS...loving it

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

Castlevania. It's possibly the best 2D platformer I've ever played, and those that know me will understand the power of that. It's incredible.
    Though Tetris is a very addictive online game. Had my first 4 player match today and bloody hell... I've been DREAMING about falling blocks and solving Tetris puzzles in my head. I'm doing it now! GAH

3. macrumors member

JamSoft

Tetris Effect

Gotta love that Tetris Effect :eek:

4. macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I know they aren't on your list but you should give either Trauma Center (best use of the touchscreen besides MPH IMHO) or Phoenix Wright (they have it on Amazon if you are looking for it new but you have to wait until September 16th to get it) a try for a change. Trauma Center is hard but sooo fun.

Oh and don't miss out on Zelda and FFIII when they come out...If you don't have it, the GBA game Zelda Minish Cap is super fun too. I have to get the Super Mario Advance 2,3, & 4 and A Link to the Past too because they are all so good!

If I had to pick one in your list I would pick Partners in Time (you don't have an RPG in there) or Castlevania. Tetris is classic good but it is my least played game and Mario 64 is the same as the old one but if you never played it or want to relive it then it might be good...Princess Peach might be fun but you already have NSMB and it is just another platformer. Here are the DS games I have:

NSMB (great mixture of all things Mario)
    Advance Wars Dual Strike (Great TurnBased Strategy but I do like FFT and Shining Force GBA also)
    Tetris DS (Old Skool puzzler, unless you are really good you will get stomped online)
    Mario Kart DS (Great online racing)
    Animal Crossing (Great Simsesqe game)
    Metroid Prime Hunters (Great online FPS)
    Trauma Center (Amazing use of the touch screen, you perform touchscreen surgeries to the forces of evil!)
    Phoenix Wright (Great Text Adventure, think Law & Order Anime style)

5. macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Seems like a toss-up between Mario 64 DS (which is a great game – I have it, but if you've played the actual N64 game then a lot of stuff is pretty easy), Tetris, and Castlevania.

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

Eep! :eek: I hope this is healthy.

I even worked out that each piece in Tetris has only 4 bits to it. Silly dreams...

7. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm having the same Tetris dreams. I see Tetris blocks everywhere. The other day I saw a skyline of trees and saw Tetris blocks fitting between them.

I've got a Tetris Marathon going on my DS, it's paused and on sleep mode but still running right now.

Over 3000 lines cleared, 8.5 million points.

Haven't played Castlevania, but I'd say
    Tetris DS> Mario & Luigi > Mario 64 > Princess Peach.

8. macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I almost just bought castlevania today or animal crossing.

I wound up giving Lost Magic a try. and so far it is actually pretty cool, i like h ow you cast spells by drawing them with the stylus, that is a really neat trick. ( the better you draw the rune, the stronger the effect lol )

i was about to get castlevania, but it looked too similar to aria of sorrows ( for GBA ) which i already have and play on my DS lite. i will probably get it eventually, but for now, i just dont see a reason to. ( but that's just me )

9. macrumors member

My opinions, just for future ref. :p

• Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time - You haven't many RPGs; this could go nicely in your collection.
    • Princess Peach - I don't know much about this title, but it certainly looks fun - much to the taste of Yoshi's Touch&Go
    • Tetris DS - A safe choice.
    • Castlevania - This has never interested me, so I'm indifferent.
    • Mario 64 DS - Mario 64 is a quality moment in gaming history. You need to have this game :)

10. thread starter macrumors regular

is that one of the games in the gba double pack? i saw that one today and thought two games in one...not a bad deal. are they any good?

11. macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm a mario whore. So I'm not going to vote. Because if it has anything to do with Mario, I probably own it.

12. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Castlevania...great game.

Bless

13. macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i had heard that they were offering it as a double pack now, but i bought it way back when it was just Aria of Sorrows :) still an immensely fun game, but its just too similar on DS so i will still play my GBA version

14. macrumors Core

Dagless

It's similar because it's the sequel. I also find it much harder than the GBA version, and with waaay better summons. Most of the weapons are still there but are now clearly grouped together. The weapon update system is a big improvement too. It's no port or anything like that :)

and the muuuusic!

http://satansam.co.uk/music/pitchblack.mp3
    http://satansam.co.uk/music/pinnacle.mp3 (the bit at 1:20 has me. that lovely, lovely melody)

still though. the Sorrow games are the best games I've played for a decade.

15. macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

wow that does sound good! ( im listening to it right now on my new sennheiser HD555s :) ) kinda reminds me of malice mizer haha

i'll probably wind up getting it anyways as my next game because i loved aria of sorrows so much

16. macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Agree with this. that's why i'm thinking of getting Tetris DS! What mode is the most fun to play?
    Have you played Mario vs Luigi in NSMB?

17. macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

yes and it is pretty fun... unless no one is winning then it kinda drags on...

so its fun in about 10 minute bursts! ( and by fun i mean lots :) )

18. macrumors member

"It has been known for players of first-person shooter games to briefly panic upon noticing the lack of a crosshair in the center of their real-world field of vision. Some players of Dance Dance Revolution also report seeing arrows moving upwards when closing their eyes after intense play."
    HAHAHA that is the funniest thing I have read in a while, anyone ever played Sims (1 or 2) has probably had dreams in simmish or once caught themselves about to say "Dag-dag" to someone.

Tetris gets my vote :) there is nothing like sharing the addiction for games with friends -thank you wifi :D

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't played that specific one but I have played the minigames on multiplayer. And it's probably the most fun multiplayer experience yet, and it was only a 2 player! It's really good.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

Quick Tetris Question

is there a non wifi 2 player tetris mode? this would be for the wife and i to compete on one ds.

what games have this type capability?

21. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Most games don't let you compete on one DS. You'd be cramped over one system when you think about it. You'll need 2 DS's for multiplayer.

The only came I can think of is Ping Pong on WarioWare, a simple minigame where you have one player on each side of the DS, each player with one shoulder button that swings the paddle.

22. macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

can i play tetris multiplayer with anyone at all? or is it that friend code thing yet again?

23. macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

is Animal Crossing or Tetris better? I've sort of made up my mind to get Mario Kart and Metroid Prime: Hunters. I'm also thinking of SNMB but i can only get three. Might be leaving out SNMB since I'll be getting Mario Kart anyway...

24. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'd go with Mario & Luigi first, then Castlevania. Mario 64 isn't worth the replay if you've already been through it and you basically know what to expect from Tetris. Peach gets hounded for being too easy.

25. macrumors 601

eva01

Princess Peach all the way.

I am going out to get that game today.