Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Black MacBook - $1500
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
250GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive

or

Refurbished MacBook Pro - $1450
2.2GHz
15.4-inch widescreen display
4GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory

I purchased a White 2.2GHz MacBook a week ago and returned it when Apple announced the new lineup. I was planning on switching to the 2.4GHz BlackBook, until I noticed the Refurbished 2.2GHz MacBook Pro in the Apple store, for a little cheaper. Now I'm in quite a pickle. How reliable are refurbished products from Apple? Will they be absolutely spotless with no scratches or dents? Also, will this MBP still be more powerful than the BlackBook, even though it is older? I plan on doing a lot of recording and Photoshop work, so the MBP would be the obvious choice right?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions on here lately. Just making sure I"m getting the right Mac for me!

mbrydone

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Refurbs are awesome! I've been using mine for over a year now, it had one glitch whcih apple fixed immediately, you still get Apple Care and the quality is amazing, pretty much the only difference is the box it comes in!!

Anyways, I would go with the Pro because the video card is seperate, the screen has more workspace, and it is just overall a better machine

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
tough choice. seems to me that you decision should come down to whether you want the bigger screen or bigger HDD. The processors are pretty comparable and GPU doesn't seem to matter to you.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
HDD shouldn't be a problem though because I can always swap it out for a bigger one right? Will that void the warranty?

Ahuckaby

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Unless ur doing lots of video the mb us is perfectly fine. The mbp hd replacement is a little more involved than the mb. It literally takes about 10-15 to swap on the mb. U should look into a refurb blackbook. With the money u save u can max the ram and put a huge hdd in and still save about 100$ or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.